"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Candlestick - Help ID and wiring needed

Started by Fennec, June 02, 2018, 07:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fennec

Hello, forum members:

I was given to "revive" what appears to be a Northern Electric candlestick.

As received, functionally it:

• Does go on and off hook
  • I can VERY faintly hear the person on the other end (not sure if 30' worth of line cord is a contributing factor here)
  • Person on the other end of the line does NOT hear me

Receiver is marked "No 143" on the body, "Northern Electric" on the cap, and "757" on the capsule itself.
No other markings are visible anywhere.
I have zero experience with candlesticks, and as such I would appreciate any help on:

- ID-ing this phone (possibly some variation of WE 20-AL ?)
- Wiring it correctly for proper receive and transmit as an extension only, i.e. no subset/ringer, and no dial.

Dmitri

poplar1

Sfromberg-Carlson desk stand
Northern Electric or Western Electric receiver
? transmitter
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fennec

Quote from: poplar1 on June 02, 2018, 07:04:29 PM
Sfromberg-Carlson desk stand
Northern Electric or Western Electric receiver
? transmitter

There are no markings on the transmitter, but based on some Google search it seems to be the type, used in later WE candlesticks, like a 20-AL (with a separate "ground" wire).

So, it's a "frankenphone" then... What gives the desk stand away as a Stromberg-Carlson, BTW?

rdelius

SC sticks are not like any body  elses.It might be marked on the ring at the base of the stem.Tx is not relayted to WE at all. Reminds me of a Chicago.SC tx and the matching cup are smaller in diameter than WE,Kellogg etc

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Fennec on June 02, 2018, 07:15:16 PM
What gives the desk stand away as a Stromberg-Carlson, BTW?

The "ball" Perch is SC
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fennec

OK, thank you for the help with ID. So, it's basically an SC desk stand (and potentially transmitter) with a WE/NE receiver...

Now, does anybody know how to wire this strictly as an extension? The closest diagram I was able to find is below. Assuming there is no ringer, would this mean that I can bring both terminal 1 and 3 of the induction coil together at L1 (red) line wire? Or would wiring in my case be different?

Fennec

A quick update - I can confirm that tying 1 & 3 of the coil to L1 and wiring the rest per above diagram works fine as an extension.

Thank you all who contributed.

Dmitri