News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 653 Giving me fits, HELP!

Started by Butch Harlow, September 03, 2018, 08:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktownphoneco

I agree 100% with Harry's views.    Good job by both of you !

Jeff

Doug Rose

Alright Butch!  Congrats!! David's knowledge is just amazing.

I agree with Harry and Jeff....no place like the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

Butch Harlow

Agreed! Could not have done it without the CRPF.

Phone bought from a member here.

Necessary parts acquired from members here.

Expert assistance from members here.

Inspiration to do it in the first place from members here.

This is truly the best assemblage of devoted hobbyists and industry veterans on the planet. This isn't the first time this place has proved invaluable, either. Thanks to all of you!
Butch Harlow

poplar1

You can make it work with only one red wire on the hookswitch, that is, the one from R on the induction coil to the hookswitch. Then, connect the transmitter terminal to R on the induction coil (rather than from the transmitter terminal to the hookswitch).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: poplar1 on September 08, 2018, 04:31:48 PM
You can make it work with only one red wire on the hookswitch, that is, the one from R on the induction coil to the hookswitch. Then, connect the transmitter terminal to R on the induction coil (rather than from the transmitter terminal to the hookswitch).

I actually did that once out of frustration. But the last time I had the switch out I decided to just go with less brittle wire. So, while I had the chance I put both back on the switch. My soldering skill got a lot better during this project, but needs polishing so I can make pretty and functional joints. For now I will accept functional.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

Well, at long last I have finished up this project. I tried 2 different 4H dials, neither would allow me dial tone. One hung the line, the other did nothing. So, I guess those will be headed to Mr Hilsz and the dry heat of Arizona for a much needed reworking. I dressed up the 5H with the rural number plate and center card from one of the 4H dials. I cleaned up the wiring the best I could, gave the case a nice rubdown and wax, and added the drawing inside. It works 100%. When I get the 4H dials back, I will swap one in. The intent was not to restore this thing to mint, so some scratches and wear here and there are tolerable. I want it hooked to a line and to get some use. I learned an incredible amount on this project. It may not be a centerpiece, but its special to me. Thanks Poplar1 for your patience, expertise, and kind help getting this thing running. Enjoy the pics!
Butch Harlow

Doug Rose

Real nice Butch....looks great! You can be proud of it and the work you and David did to get it working. ...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Awesome. Looks great! Nice job on this one and congrats for sticking it out to get it working.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

It looks fantastic, great job Butch !

Jeff

tubaman

Nice work - its come out looking great.
You should be proud.