News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gram phone not tele-phone Need help to learn...

Started by dsk, September 20, 2018, 03:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Hi, I just got my fingers into this (sellers picture) and now I need to learn how to service it. It has obviously had a tough life, but no essential parts are missing, and it is possible to get sound from the record, but noe even speed, and no start/stop etc.

Do you know where I may learn more about this? Please tell me.

dsk

Jim Stettler

Theses are all guesses based on the technology.
The crank is to wind a spring to drive the turntable. I suspect the drive belt may be stretched out . That is a common problem on old turntables and tape drives.
I would search for a "proper" drive belt for the turntable. Once it is replaced, if you are still having problems I would look for some type of governor on the spring drive that would control the speed of the turntable.
I agree with KEY2871 that there is most likely a switch associated with the arm that controls the turntable.

Keep in mind these are all guesses based on  the technology. I have no experience working on or restoring turntables.

Good-luck and keep us posted.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

Platter is direct drive -no belt. Spring driven motor.You should be able to wind up the motor unless the spring is broken ,There is a talking machine forum on the internet. Your machine logo appears to be Telefunken from Germany .

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on September 20, 2018, 05:54:41 PM
Platter is direct drive -no belt. Spring driven motor.You should be able to wind up the motor unless the spring is broken ,There is a talking machine forum on the internet. Your machine logo appears to be Telefunken from Germany .

I didn't consider direct drive. I think there would still be some sort of "governor" to control the speed of the platter.
I think the record player hobby is large  enough that reproduction parts are available. I would follow up on the record player forums if I were you.
Just some more opinions,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

There is a fly bar governer.there no reproduction parts except spring and motor governer weights and springs for your motor.Your machine is very similar to HMV models from England. I have a almost identical Molotov from USSR I have an extra motor also.Ask on the talking machine forum. They have some members in Europe

19and41

One of the forum members, Bill Cahill is very knowledgable in this field and may be able to offer you some advice.  It might be worth a PM.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke