News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OH NO! GOSH! This is crap

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 05, 2013, 04:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Unfortunately, the original from the web was served in a .jpg format with pretty heavy compression, hence the artifacting around the circle, and in other places. I guess I need to get after making a non-compressed version of it, which takes time to edit out all of the pixellation. I can do/have done, but it is very time-intensive.

JPG is an awesome accomplishment, especially back in the days we were all on  >:(dial-up >:(.

Nowadays, with the bandwidth and connectivity we enjoy, no reason to set the compression ratio that high. The difference between a non-compressed .bmp, and a 30% compressed .jpg wouldn't even be perceivable in load time for the viewer, but makes for some painful viewing around the web, still...
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Nah, JPEG has always been a poor compression format, as all it does is reduce the information in a picture to reduce it's size on disk, that's why I prefer to use the PNG format for graphics when I'm throwing something together, you get a virtually lossless compression which also supports transparency, so handy for making things for print, be it dial labels or giant advertising banners... :)

Mr. Bones

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

By the way, the number card pictured is my actual copper line phone number. Any forum member can PM me for the area code, but I'll not post it online, here, or anywhere.

I'd love to hear from any of you, and I always get excited hearing all those ringers in action!

Otherwise, wth is the use of having cool telephones?

Ringy-Dingy me.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 05, 2013, 09:42:38 PMOtherwise, wth is the use of having cool telephones?

As odd as it may sound, I actually can't stand making or receiving phone calls, but I do like hearing phones ringing, hence the Panasonic 616.... :D

Mr. Bones

Ben, thanks for kind words of encouragement. This is just a very rough-hewn example, but a project that is on-going. Lots to be done yet, to get to my satisfaction.

I have boo-coo experience at graphics design, web-authoring, etc., and I'm an extremely bad case of OCD perfectionism about most things, so look for better results on the horizon. I'll post them here.

Regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 05, 2013, 09:50:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 05, 2013, 09:42:38 PMOtherwise, wth is the use of having cool telephones?

As odd as it may sound, I actually can't stand making or receiving phone calls, but I do like hearing phones ringing, hence the Panasonic 616.... :D

twocvbloke,

As odd as it may sound, it doesn't sound odd at all, at least not to me.

Sorry for my verbosity.

No worries, mate. If you ever do feel like ringing me up, PM for the number.

Take care!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Greg G.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 05, 2013, 06:09:18 PM
... Maybe there is a high bid scammer?
Ben

I was thinking the same thing.  The high bidders look like they may be sock puppets, not much feedback.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

The proof will be when the seller comes to relist the items... :D