Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Here is the main auction pic.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on October 13, 2017, 02:14:29 PM
Here is the main auction pic.

That looks NOS unlike the junk I buy . . .

19and41

That's just how they look at first.  They look richly experienced after your treatment!
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

I like that brown glass, very nice. Will you put a glass shade on it or just leave the glass chimney alone?
TWinbrook7

19and41

I want to put a glass shade on it as I can find one.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Looks like a nice font, would probably go with a red glass shade (usually white inside so puts out white light underneath), unless you're after a white shade for nice distributed light for the whole room which would also work nicely... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on October 13, 2017, 02:53:21 PM
That's just how they look at first.  They look richly experienced after your treatment!

True in most cases (after removing the rust I was able to read this was made in Syracuse in April of 1936). Molasses is a great tool for these.

However, while this is my last lantern and I mean it, I'm starting to think a brown glass Aladdin on the dining room table would look nice, with a red or green shade. I see them in antique malls but know little about them so price has no basis for me, now.

What twocv said about a red shade sounds great. Post pictures along the way.

19and41

I've been looking at the number of colors they have made.  They would make an exquisite piece of decor while standing by for action.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Whilst poking about on ebay UK after winning my Aladdinette heater, I spotted these shade support tripods in the US for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222672718638

That's basically what my 23 has, they (the seller) also has some under-burner versions in 10" and 14" it seems... :)

19and41

Saw a likely looking shade and put a low bid sealed with a snipe.  It went for the bid. $25 and $15 for shipping.

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

The spider arrived at the same time as the shade yesterday. Disassembled the burner when removing it to try the spider and found there is no wick support/elevator.  Something else to order.  Found good deals on the wick and mantle and they're on their way.  Til I find a good deal on a lox-on chimney I'll have to use the other lamps'.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

That makes lamp/lantern collection fun, building something up from era specific parts and then enjoying years of service from it. Looking forward to seeing it all together, the brown and white glass is a neat combination.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

I had it easy with my 23 when I first got it, it was a complete lamp that seemingly hadn't been used (though the mantle it came with had been flashed off, but was never actually heated up though was broken beyond redemption anyway!), the only thing I sourced for it was a Loxon chimney as the heelless one has an uneven base so always sat at an angle which looked wrong... :)

Of course the Super Aladdin was another story, but, suffice to say, it turned out nicely, even if it ends up impacting on my head 'cos I'm not looking where I'm going while it's hung up!!  ;D

19and41

I think this will come out nicely.  The shade's top opening gives about an inch clearance from the chimney and the glass is about 1/8 inch thick.  The pic makes the skirt look narrower than it actually is.  One thrift store I frequent has had a glass shade with a fluted top, but was a busy dark pattern painted on it and a 7 inch base.  The wrong item at the right price, $4.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Yeah, you'll have it up and running in no time, as for that other shade, well, you could buy it, then find a lamp that it would fit.................. ;D