News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I can't stop buying phones - Redbar just arrived

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 21, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I have been wanting a Kellogg Redbar, so I couldn't resist.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150397880716

For the meager picture, it looks to be in good condition.  It seems that Kellogg Redbars tend to be somewhat expensive, so $20 didn't seem like a bad price.

Larry

gpo706

Larry, you and I need an "intervention", I can't go onto ebay without buying a spring widget for a GPO whatever.

But like you some auctions are too tempting, and this looks like a really lovely phone and at that price I would have no compunction.

Obviously the seller was out of their depth, thought it was german.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

LarryInMichigan

I can't imagine what about a Kellogg phone looks German being that they were made in my hometown, Chicago.  The area where the seller is is heavily populated by German immigrants, so perhaps that explains it.

Larry

ntophones

What a nice looking phone! And, what a great price!
I think you're doing well--keep up the good work!  :D
--nto

HobieSport

Congratulations Larry on getting your Redbar phone at such a good price. They are very cool phones. I've attached a pdf file of a nifty pamphlet on the Redbar design from 1947.

I have one Redbar phone among my many various black phones and the design of the Redbar really stands out from the others. Very classy. The only other phone that stands out that much in in my collection with it's design is the Dutch HEEMAF phone.  By the way, if you're ever interested in getting a HEEMAF phone, they can be had inexpensively ($20 or so) with a little patience, since as I recall, Radio Shack imported and refurbished lot's and lots of Dutch HEEMAF and PTT phones, I think it was in the 1970s.

-Matt

Dennis Markham

Larry, I  noticed the Redbar you bought has the little white button at the top.  I'm not sure what that's for...some kind of intercom button?

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

I do not know what the button does, but I am anxious to find out (and let everyone else know).  I have seen other redbar phones on-line with those buttons, so I don't think that it was an end-user modification.  I imagine that its presence may have discouraged some people from bidding on the phone.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, I've also seen that button on the North Electric "Galion" phone (Model 7H6) too.  Perhaps that button changed the model designation, I don't know.  But as you say, it does NOT appear to be an end-user modification.  Perhaps someone here knows.

Dennis Markham

That looks like it Larry.  Now that you pointed it out I have heard of Select-o-Phone but have no experience at all with them.  It will be interesting to see yours when the phone arrives.

bwanna

very nice, larry. i passed on a redbar for 35$ this fall. i've regretted ever since. :-\

do not forget this is not an addiction, no interventions needed. we are all members of PETT...(people for the ethical treatment of telephones) 8)

a fellow antique dealer recently told me she has a very rare telephone, from a mansion in grosse pointe. it was made in battle creek, especially for the cereal people :o ::) ::)...
donna

LarryInMichigan

Do you suppose that the phone will go well with milk and perhaps sliced banana :D?

HobieSport

"PETT". Lol

Bwanna, I think I paid around $35 for my Kellog Redbar. You might even find one cheaper if you're just patient. They are really nice phones. I love the styling as well as the nifty modular component system. Very well thought out design overall.
-Matt

Jim Stettler

I have always liked the redbar,  I really like the wall version.  There were a couple of different colors as well.

The desk and wall version use the same base. The housing is the only difference, swapping is as simple as pulling a plug.
They also made the redbar with a clearbar. I have never heard of a clear housing redbar set But I would like to find one.

I just checked Paul F.'s site under phones in color.
I have decided I need a purple/white swirl clearbar to tie my clear and swirl collections together. If anyone has this set I will trade well for it.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Tonyrotary

Good price on a nice phone! The redbar is high on my list to get.