News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Favorite Campfire/BBQ Foods?

Started by HobieSport, January 08, 2010, 04:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

For any outdoorsy types like me on the the board, do you have any favorite campfire foods or recipes?

Since I have a lifetime supply of free firewood for the cutting at my place (Bishop Pine and Grand Fir) and in the mild north calif coast climate, I now usually cook dinners on the campfire several times per week. I also will be cooking some breakfasts on the fire.

I often do the classic basics, like marinated steaks, porkchops and chicken, coal roasted baked potatoes, corn on the cob and garlic bread. I'll also probably be doing lots of seafood once I start fishing and diving again this spring (fish, mussels, and maybe crab, crayfish and a few abalone).

And of course nothing beats the smell of campfire bacon and sausages, "cowboy coffee" and a good hearty slice of fire toasted bread and butter on the campfire in the mornings...

Anyone got any other real campfire/bbq favorites that make you drool with anticipation?
-Matt

Greg G.

Just about everything tastes better barbecued.  My favorites are steaks or burgers.  I don't do anything fancy with steaks, salt and pepper, then pierce it all over with a fork, sprinkle some Worcestershire sauce on and cook it medium rare.  Also on the barby, oysters in the shell.  When the shell pops open, take off the top part then put a pat of butter, lemon and Hoisin sauce on the oyster until the butter melts.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

I like simple salt and pepper steaks and burgers too, Briny. Maybe with a little garlic powder.

As for oysters, those certainly sound delicious, but in Mendocino Calif we don't have any local oysters like you do up North. I guess the only local clam type beasties that we have locally are the mussels.  Not oysterish at all of course, but I'll try them with the butter, lemon and Hoisin sauce. Oh, and garlic. Yum!

One of my favorite mussel feeds is mussels lightly cooked (I steam them in a pot but I'll try the direct grill method) with grilled garlic French bread, a big salad with oil and vinigar, (oh and garlic ;)), and a dry white wine. I ain't no food snob but that there is some good eatin'. 8)
-Matt

Bill Cahill

Hamburgers, hot dogs, and, roasted marsh mellows. Yum, yum.....
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Matt;
Man you made that sound good.
I made a contraption that sits over the coals in my BBQ, and I use it for baking Pizza. Yes a BBQ pizza Oven.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

- Tom

HobieSport

Quote from: Dan/Panther
I made a contraption that sits over the coals in my BBQ, and I use it for baking Pizza. Yes a BBQ pizza Oven.

D/P Could you describe or post a pic of your BBQ pizza oven contraption? That sounds really tasty. I'm smelling the basil right now. Do you make your own pizza dough of get it "tailor made"?
-Matt

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom
Burgers and Brats!!!

And don't forget the cheese! ;)
-Matt

Dan/Panther

I've been making my own Pizza for about 4 years now, I make the sauce, and dough, all my own recipe.
The Pizza BBQ contraption was not very successful, as it didn't get up past 350 degrees. It was a SS box about 18" square, with a shelf in the middle 10" thick, with a swing up door, with a BBQ thermometer in the top. I placed the box over the hot coals.
D/P

AET

Quote from: HobieSport on January 08, 2010, 02:59:51 PM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom
Burgers and Brats!!!

And don't forget the cheese! ;)

Very sick of looking at cheese hahaha!!!

We could also go with Burgers and Fries and Cherry pies, to quote charley pride.
- Tom

dsk

Take a look at this film, even if you don't understand the language, it ....
(You may skip the first 30%)

http://tinyurl.com/yau2mv6

dsk

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HobieSport on January 08, 2010, 04:26:21 AM
For any outdoorsy types like me on the the board, do you have any favorite campfire foods or recipes?

I have always like to BBQ tater cakes for breakfast, both while camping and at home.

They a are a handy finger food, and they cook up really nice on a grill.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

DSK;
I thought I was the only one to BBQ Waffles.
Just kidding, You have my vote for winner.
D/P