and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Greink AE Desk Set

Started by TelePlay, March 15, 2016, 08:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Quote from: axil on March 16, 2016, 12:26:35 PM
Quote from: axil on March 16, 2016, 12:32:21 AM
Well i have to say im deeply hurt! To be honest though it is quite ugly. 
Mr bones I am definitely joking in my comment "I am deeply hurt" as I have no problem with your post. I have sold some of the oddest stuff on ebay over the years. A friend of mine sold his tooth for over $700.00 because the shape of the root looked like a religious symbol!
best regards
dave
Dave, super-glad to hear that! 8)

I just wanted to make sure I had erred on the side of caution.

Yeah, people will buy anything, for any amount, on ePay. Sometimes, I am amazed by it. If I had the stuff from my childhood, I could be retired in the Caribbean, sipping on a refreshing rum drink, quite easily... :o

Best regards, have a great day!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 15, 2016, 10:31:14 PM
I love those Ramblers; Kenosha's finest 'cute car'! ;D

Easy to confuse since a picture does not show size well. Those first pictured were AMC Nash Metropolitans and below are about the same year AMC Nash Ramblers. The Metro was a two seater, IIRC, and so small that two side by side were about as wide as one full sized car. They were very cute and I haven't seen one on the streets for a good decade now. They were tiny but they has a body style similar to their bigger cousin, the Nash Rambler.

The Rambler was a family car with front and back seats and came in green and pink as shown below so there was also a Greink Rambler as well as a Greink Metro.

After AMC merged with Hudson, in the mid to late 50's, the style changed and the 58 Rambler looked much like a '56 era Ford Crown Vic, IIRC.

AE_Collector

My mom had a white / yellow Metropolitan for several years. They "sort of" had a back seat....maybe more of a very slightly padded grocery shelf. I recall the back of the seat folded down at the push of a button to gain access to the trunk from the back "seat".

I think these were made and imported from England. Mid to late 50's to 1960 or maybe 61. We had LOTS of British cars here in Canada in that era. Sure cant find one here now, I miss that. I had a 10 year old 1964 Vauxhall Victor as my first car.

When my mom had the Metropolitan one day our neighbour asked to borrow it to get to work and home probably because his car was in the shop for the day. Our neighbour was a BIG guy, ex Navy in very good shape and just a BIG guy. It was comical watching him climb into the Met and awkwardly drive off!

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 16, 2016, 07:30:37 PM
I think these were made and imported from England. Mid to late 50's to 1960 or maybe 61. We had LOTS of British cars here in Canada in that era. Sure cant find one here now, I miss that. I had a 10 year old 1964 Vauxhall Victor as my first car.

Terry,

I didn't know that so found this on the web. They were designed by AMC in Kenosha, Wisconsin but built by Austin in Longbridge, England, starting in 1954 and shipped back to the US for sale. You are correct. The Met had an 85" wheel base - yes, a short car - and was 4 1/2 feet high and had a "back shelf" which I don't think would be comfortable for a young child.

The attached Word document has everything anyone would want to know about he Met, if anyone is interested, and that info can be found here:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/nash-metropolitan.html

WEBellSystemChristian

I did a little more reading, and now realize where I went wrong with my 'Rambler' reply. Rambler was succeeded by Nash, who was then bought by AMC, who produced the Nash Metropolitan, which is sometimes called the Rambler or Rambler Metropolitan; etc, etc, etc! :o

At least I was sort of right. Not politically correct, but sort of right! I got the Kenosha part a little right, and I think we can all agree it's an adorable little car! :)

Yes, it's pronounced "Bonesy", spoken from the horse's mouth! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Mr. Bones

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 16, 2016, 09:20:09 PM
Yes, it's pronounced "Bonesy", spoken from the horse's mouth! ;D
Well, regardless of from which end, it was straight from the horse in question lol! ;D

Best regards, my friend! 8)
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

david@london

i didn't realize these nash/rambler/metropolitans were built in england. that would explain why i used to see quite a few around and about, here in london in the 1960s. i remember especially the blue and white colouring. i always thought of them as american, but small.

this site has alot of good stuff about these cars, and here is a song about a nash, by the mothers of invention.

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on March 17, 2016, 09:14:10 AM
i didn't realize these nash/rambler/metropolitans were built in england.

I think only the smaller in size Nash Metro was made in England from '54 to the end of its production in '61. It was built in Kenosha WI the first few years.

The larger in size Nash Rambler was always made in Kenosha and the iconic song for the Rambler was Beep Beep recorded by the Playmates in 1959. It starts slow so stick with it, has a great ending.

BTW, those are two great sites. The Metro sure was tiny, a sub sub compact. The Ramble was a longer lived family sized, full sized car.

axil

Just an update:
The Nash80 is on its way to it's new home on the prairies.
There is a retro rec room awaiting its arrival!

dave   ???