News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage "Mushroom Light" Restored

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, June 13, 2017, 03:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Don't worry, it isn't what it sounds like; it's a lot cooler than that (and a lot less expensive for those that thinking phone -related!)

These Mushroom Lights (apparently named that by the company who built them) were installed at the ends of boulevards and street islands all over Milwaukee, as a way of marking where an island ended so cars didn't accidentally drive up onto the well-maintained grass at night. They weren't built cheaply either; they were built out of one-piece solid cast iron, and weighed just over 60 pounds!! They were removed sometime in the '70s or '80s, and I have only seen a couple, even after frantic research for weeks!

My Dad and I found this at a flea market last month. My Dad had one years ago, but ended up giving it away to a friend. When he started dating my Mom a few years later, she told him how much she loved those lights, and would absolutely love to have one! It didn't help when we moved into our house 10 years ago, and discovered that the neighbors down the street had two of them at the end of their driveway!

It sure took a lot of work to get this one restored! We tried sandblasting the layers of original paint, but gave up and sent it to a professional. We powdercoated the main housing in three heavy coats of gloss Safety Yellow, and 2 coats for each of the rings around the glass lenses. All of the brass screws were polished and coated in clear powdercoat.

The light source is whatever we want it to be; the housing is hollow in the bottom, so we have a simple ceiling light fixture sitting inside for fun. For now, it's displayed in the house, but we're thinking about moving it somewhere.

It won't be an easy task, though; this thing is massive! Here's a nearby Gallion for comparison! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Very nice! Never seen one like that before.  :)

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks Doug! I hadn't either, until I saw what the neighbors had in their yard!

This is one of only two vintage pictures that I know of that show these Mushroom Lights 'in the wild'; the other was taken at the exact same spot, but sometime in the early '60s. You can see the light at the end of the boulevard that the photographer is standing on. There's another one at the end of the other boulevard. This is on Wisconsin Avenue in Downtown Milwaukee:
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Very nice! Look strong enough to be "whatever proof." Nicely restored.

What does it weigh?

For those with eyesight like mine, here is an enlargement of the above image showing a very nice red 1951 Ford Custom Tudor Sedan with 100 HP Flat Head Engine just to the right of the boulevard mushroom light, in red circle.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys!!!

The housing alone weighs 60 pounds; the extra parts add about a pound. I had to lug all of that about a mile back to the truck from the flea market!
Christian Petterson