News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GEC 2K/CTT New Gecophone

Started by tubaman, September 10, 2021, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

This has just arrived and I'm very pleased with it.
CB phones don't turn up so often and the vented button hole I've never seen before.
It's all tropicalised, with mesh over the bell outlets and foam (now hard and very fragile) around the case to seal it against the base.
It was £17 + £7 P&P (got a £3 refund on the original £10 P&P). Works out at about $33
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tel2k-GEC-Telephone-/334129021912

tel2k/ CTT telephone GEC.
Made in England
Good physical condition and not tested
This is "extension" vintage GEC phone.
All the parts intact and in original conditions including the original cords
Not tested good for collectors

I've added a window and reprint GEC card to complete it.
Not sure of an exact date on this, but the receiver is 1977 dated and the capacitor inside could be 1977 from the code on it, so I think 1977 is most likely.
More details about these on Bon Freshwater's site - https://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/tel2k.htm

tubaman

Circuit Diagram:

RB

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Seems like a find of the month contender to me.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Smart looking phone, good price too - CB versions don't come up for sale much, especially with that metal vent to top. Another great find.

Is it possible to flatten the Circuit Diagram a tad more and add a photo into the 'None North American Wiring Diagrams' section.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on September 11, 2021, 03:10:04 AM
Smart looking phone, good price too - CB versions don't come up for sale much, especially with that metal vent to top. Another great find.

Is it possible to flatten the Circuit Diagram a tad more and add a photo into the 'None North American Wiring Diagrams' section.

Thanks - this is the first CB 706 style phone in my collection, so I'm very pleased to have it.
I can't flatten the diagram as it's glued inside the top of the case. However, Bob Freshwater's page had a flat version so I've added that (noting that it's from his website).

MMikeJBenN27

First time I have seen one of these.  Is this a foreign phone?

Mike

tubaman

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on September 22, 2021, 05:39:45 AM
First time I have seen one of these.  Is this a foreign phone?

Mike

It was UK made and I think they were all tropicalised for sale around the world.
It was effectively GEC's own branded version of the GPO 706 (they even referred to it as the GEC 706) and came out at about the same time.

FABphones

Quote...I've added a window and reprint GEC card to complete it...

Which Opal fitted on yours? Mine appears to be a tad smaller than usual 706 dial centres.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on May 17, 2022, 12:07:49 PMWhich Opal fitted on yours? Mine appears to be a tad smaller than usual 706 dial centres.

I used a 746 opal - ie hollow back rather than solid plastic like the 706 ones.