News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell 554 No Tone but Rings

Started by debeaune, September 12, 2014, 03:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Team, I have a 1975 Red 554 I am working on now and I installed the 228A backplate, wired L1 and 2 up and get no dial tone but rings on incoming.  Swapped out handsets, same.  Can anyone see where my problem might be, thank you. Tim

tallguy58

Your 1975 phone has a 1958 ringer.

Has nothing to do with your issues, just noticed it.
Cheers........Bill

debeaune

Thanks Bill, no clue on the problem huh bud? 

Phonesrfun

It is hard to see all the wires that go between all the contacts on the network.
It is possible that one of the hookswitch contact wires are not wired properly.  Either consult a wiring diagram, or alternatively post a good focused detailed picture and one of us could look at that and offer some suggestions.  You will also want to make sure the dial and the handset are properly connected too.
In order to get a good photo of the connections, you will have to pull the dial out of its bracket and set it aside.  From what I can see, everything looks in order, but there are some things I cannot see.
In thinking about this, do make sure that the handset it wired internally correctly too.
-Bill G

jsowers

Did you swap out handset cords?

I know you said you swapped out the handset, but it could be a bad crimp on either end of the cord.
Jonathan

debeaune

Thanks All, I took another 554 and used the same dialer and handset and it works fine so I would assume its something in the network.  I'll take it apart so that I can post a good clean photo of it and we'll see if its something we can fix.  Thank you all, have a great weekend.  Tim

poplar1

Does it keep ringing even when the phone is off-hook?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kenton K

The handset cords may be connected to the network funny. White and Red go to (R). White goes to (G). Black goes to (B).

debeaune

Will double check this one, when I swapped handset and dial to a similar network, same positions, it worked fine.  Will pull it out and toy with it today, thanks.  Tim