News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kirk 73D

Started by LM Ericsson, April 11, 2016, 11:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

I bought this FeTAp lookalike on Etsy last night. It is a Danish telephone called the Kirk 73D. It may not be in an interesting color, but at least I finally found one (I have been looking for one for a while now). Looking at the pictures, I can't really tell how one would get the cover off the phone. Maybe it is a snap-on cover? The handset cord is interesting on this one as it runs under the phone instead from inside the phone and it looks like you could choose which side you wanted the cord to run out depending on your dominant hand judging by the two canals in which the cord could be secured. This phone sort of reminds me more of the Australian 800 series telephone because of the dial ring and the letters on the dial ring are Danish letters which is interesting. I would like to try to restore the phone back into its nice gray color by using either the retrobrite or the salon cream method, but I am not sure if either of these would work on this color. I would like to avoid sanding it.
Regards,
-Grayson

Russ Kirk

For some reason I think I should have one of these phones in my colection.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

I saw that phone but thought that the color was too ugly.  I didn't look very closely to notice that it was really gray.  I would suggest trying chlorine bleach and water in the warm sunlight for a few hours.  That should do a more uniform bleaching than peroxide cream.

Larry

AE_Collector

If we were still dialling in the 2 Letter 5 Number format.....I see a *bunch* of wrong numbers being dialled out on that one! Great find Grayson!

Quote from: Russ Kirk on April 12, 2016, 01:52:22 AM
For some reason I think I should have one of these phones in my colection.

GRAYson got the first one.....Russ KIRK is in line for the next one.

I would like to hear Jorge's thoughts on the condition of the gray plastic!

Terry

Matilo Telephones

Nice! A derivative of the Assisten I did not know yet.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LM Ericsson

The phone arrived today. It's in great shape with no cracks and I think it will be a good candidate for chlorine bleach. I tried it on the handset on my discolored gray Heraldo telephone and it looks good as new. The way that the housing is attached to the base is very interesting. Looking at the photo of the bottom of the phone, you can see a black circle near the top. It is a seal that when you remove it, it reveals what looks like a flat head screw, it is but it isn't. it's a plastic thingy that when you turn it, it loosens the base, when that is done, you press in the black square thing on the back of the phone. That is a clip. The housing is not held down by any screws, whatsoever. The dial is basically and Ericsson style dial, but badged with "KIRK".
Regards,
-Grayson

LM Ericsson

I finally reassembled the phone today. I have had to wait a few weeks to actually have good results from the chlorine bleach solution as we have had so many butty and rainy days. The discoloration is almost completely gone, but good enough to look much better than it did. The phone does work and I had to change the line cord as it was chopped off in the middle. The receiver is very quiet-I am not sure why but does call out and ring back. I only have one photo so far and I will have more on the way later.
Regards,
-Grayson

unbeldi

Quote from: LM Ericsson on May 19, 2016, 06:14:41 PM
I finally reassembled the phone today. I have had to wait a few weeks to actually have good results from the chlorine bleach solution as we have had so many butty and rainy days. The discoloration is almost completely gone, but good enough to look much better than it did. The phone does work and I had to change the line cord as it was chopped off in the middle. The receiver is very quiet-I am not sure why but does call out and ring back. I only have one photo so far and I will have more on the way later.

Well, one photo does tell the story though.   Very nice result. What a difference.

Pourme

Great improvement!...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on April 18, 2016, 04:57:51 PM
Nice! A derivative of the Assisten I did not know yet.

It probably is but it is probably also related to the Dialog given its origin. Of course the Dialog and the Assistent are probably also related.

Jack