News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Our children will never know the pleasure of....

Started by DebbieDoo, March 29, 2014, 01:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebbieDoo

slamming down the receiver!!!!    :D

twocvbloke

Nah, kids these days have their own version, throwing a games console controller at the wall when they find they're not as good at a game as they thought they were... ;D

(though I will admit to almost succumbing to that myself!!)

WesternElectricBen

I think it is quite a nice feeling.. On the rare time I would, as I don't want to crack one of my restored phones.

Ben

DebbieDoo

I just wanted to add a little humor to everyone's day!!!   ;D

DebbieDoo

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 29, 2014, 03:37:43 AM
Nah, kids these days have their own version, throwing a games console controller at the wall when they find they're not as good at a game as they thought they were... ;D

(though I will admit to almost succumbing to that myself!!)

Very true....I guess they just throw their phones because you really can't push that end button hard enough!!

Dave203

Quote from: DebbieDoo on March 29, 2014, 01:23:27 AM
I was just thinking this yesterday while cooking in the kitchen. I picked up the phone on the wall and heard the dial tone and dialed the local time and temp number and thought to myself gosh I use my iPhone so much and others do too. I hardly ever use this kitchen phone even when it rings. And then I thought how all the kids today don't even know what a dial tone is. Heck my parents even met at a night club called Dial Tone. Every table had a phone and you could dial up a stranger and have a chat. I think I seen this in a movie once but don't know the name. Anyone know?

kleinkaliber

The phone in the picture... soft center finger wheel, fat cord, suede feet. I hope she didn't hurt the soft plastic when she slammed that receiver! (Wonder what color it was?)

HarrySmith

WOW! I remember the Dial Tone Club! Brings back some old memories!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: DebbieDoo on March 29, 2014, 01:23:27 AM
One can't get the satisfaction that used to give! Imagine trying to do that with a cell phone!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

I don't have very good accuracy when it comes to cradles and handsets; I always hit the cradle ear or transmitter/receiver cap. I try to avoid slamming the handset when I can, I don't want any smashed cradle ears :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on March 29, 2014, 09:40:04 PMOne can't get the satisfaction that used to give! Imagine trying to do that with a cell phone!

Dave

Many have, that's why there's so many iphones on ebay with broken screens and digitisers... ;D

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 29, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Where was that bar located? I think we sold them some 5302s with grounding buttons.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave203

Quote from: poplar1 on March 30, 2014, 10:38:46 AM
Quote from: HarrySmith on March 29, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Where was that bar located? I think we sold them some 5302s with grounding buttons.
The one my mom went to in the 70's/80's was in Danbury, Connecticut. Area code 203. It burnt down in 1981 and my mom doesn't remember what type of phones they had on the tables  :-\

I have a link to the news story talking about the fire and many other things in our local news history. But no other information about the place. Sounds like a great time in history I will never get to see.
http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Do-You-Remember-106353.php
This persons blog has a few nice photos and story about a DialTone Club in Connecticut. http://hellsacres.blogspot.com/2013_03_01_archive.html?m=1

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

Yes, the Dial Tone Club was in Danbury, Connecticut. The area code for all of CT back then was 203. I only went there once and cannot recall the phones that were used. As much of that period of time it is kinda foggy recollections ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"