"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Difference of Opinions

Started by Doug Rose, April 07, 2014, 08:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 08, 2014, 05:45:24 AM
Thanks folks.....this one really bothers me as I saw this fine piece being tossed in the trash....."ah f*ck it, not owrth the money"....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11478.msg122444#msg122444

Where did Harpgaly say that?  I don't see it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Scotophor

Harpgaly didn't write it, but Doug was implying that he may have thought something like that. Since Harpgaly hasn't replied since his second post in that topic, IMO that's a reasonable assumption at this point.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Sargeguy

Or maybe Harpgaly is just waiting for a subset purchased on eBay to arrive, or found a subset and wired it according to poplar1's recommendations and is satisfied with the result. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

Maybe he joined the merchant marines. Maybe he got married and moved to Trinidad. Maybe he decided to sell everything in life and run for president..... Or maybe he simply doesn't care enough to pursue this any further.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 11, 2014, 07:32:28 AM
Or maybe Harpgaly is just waiting for a subset purchased on eBay to arrive, or found a subset and wired it according to poplar1's recommendations and is satisfied with the result. 
Good Point! How did I miss it?....Doug
Kidphone

DebbieDoo

I, too am a newbie.  I have asked my fair share of dumb questions.  I have always had very helpful answers from all who responded.  My ONLY complaint so far is I don't know the names of most of the parts and tools etc.  However, a couple of nice gentlemen posted diagrams for me which helped tremendously.  So I guess for us "noob's" you kind of have to spell it out and show pictures of what you are referring to.  Thanks to all who have helped me in the past!!!!  :D

DebbieDoo

Oh, and I forgot to ask if anyone would be interested in or know where there is a list of phone parts with pictures.  I would love to put something together like that.  For instance I had no clue what a spade was so it would have been nice to be able to go to one place to look it up with photo's etc.  Anyway, PM me if you are interested in helping me with something like this.  Thanks, Debbie

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: DebbieDoo on April 11, 2014, 11:30:01 PM
I, too am a newbie.  I have asked my fair share of dumb questions. 

Personnally I think the dumbest question is an unasked question. Having been a teacher professionallly I will never ever say to someone a question is dumb. That would be a great stupity in itself.
Although in my experience not every one here is of that persuasion, shall we say.
What kind of help do you need? Someone making pics? Someone with a website? Someone helping with info? What did you have in mind, a glossary?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Greg G.

I, too am a newbie.  I have asked my fair share of dumb questions.  I have always had very helpful answers from all who responded.  My ONLY complaint so far is I don't know the names of most of the parts and tools etc.  However, a couple of nice gentlemen posted diagrams for me which helped tremendously.  So I guess for us "noob's" you kind of have to spell it out and show pictures of what you are referring to.  Thanks to all who have helped me in the past!!!!  :D

I've been collecting for 5 years now, I still ask dumb questions, and sometimes it's the same dumb question I asked before, but forgot.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Brinybay on April 12, 2014, 02:51:21 PM
I've been collecting for 5 years now, I still ask dumb questions, and sometimes it's the same dumb question I asked before, but forgot.

I am right there with you, regarding dumb questions, memory, and 50~ish eyesight. If I am able to find any useful BSPs to help alleviate, or remedy either, I will gladly let you know! ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

HarrySmith

I have to agree with Arwin, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! I have been saying that for years in non phone related areas. I have asked more than my fair share of dumb questions and will continue to ask them. Since I am approaching 6 decades I have and will probably ask them more than once! If you want to experience some fun responces try asking a dumb question on the lists for a second time ;D The reason I spend the majority of my phone related time here is the people, everyone here is part of the nicest, most helpful group on the net!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

I, too am a newbie.  I have asked my fair share of dumb questions.

Debbie, there's no dumb questions. Depending how you ask,  all peeps that know the responses , must give the right responses. this is my opinion.. Concerning me, I don't know all about the telephone and when I want a response, I know that i'm going to see or talking to the most expert on the subject ( telephone )..lot of members here have some knowledge more than me and I tell you the truth. However, I think to poplar1 and others...

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 17, 2014, 08:18:18 PM

WARNING! Wiring like this is frowned on by the purists.

WARNING!  You're contradicting yourself:

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 07, 2014, 08:06:33 PM

... a 202 without a subset is wrong.

I'm not being a "snob" or "purist" Doug.  He specifically asked if the phone will work w/o a subset.  I politely informed him of the options.  I don't appreciate being jumped on and called a "purist".  I have never jumped on anyone on this forum, but lately it seems that every time I try to share my knowledge, I'm being called "overly dramatic" or a "purist".  I appreciated it when I was first told what would happen to a phone that was designed to work with a subset if it was plugged into the phone line by itself.  I spend a lot of time and money hunting them down and want to take every step I reasonably could to protect my investment.  I'm no electronics expert, and enjoyed searching for and finding the needed parts to make my phones function correctly.  I did not ever think that those who informed me were being overly "dramatic" or "purist".

None-the-less, if sharing my knowledge with newbies is not welcome, I will refrain from doing so in the future.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Greg....when a newbie asks to have some help and no one replies to help ...BUT tells them to buy additional parts, we are doing that newbie a disservice. Sorry if you do not agree.  They probably already spent a fortune on that phone. It will work, but not BSP work.

I bought a Holtzer Cabot clock made in Boston a few years ago, I thought I could fix it. Couldn't. I was sent to a website who were clock collectors. I was told if I spent $100 on parts that were made by this collector he would make my clock work. I asked what if it didn't work after this investment. he replied "It should."  Not real comforting. I still display this non working clock in my phone room. I didn't spend close to $100 on the clock and certainly didn't want to make that kind of an investment to a maybe it will work scenario.

I am not sure why we have this issue in the Forum of offering help that ONLY fits the BSPs. Help that is NOT asked for, they only want the phone to work as they look at it working, not the purists idea of working. This is just the thing that Pinkeye and Staph do on the lists.  I find it wrong! Lets be helpful. Tell them after it works, it would be best to get a subset. No argument or contradicting here on that. I can imagine if I went to Janet and said, can't get my clock to work but I am going to drop another $100 into it. Maybe it will work afterwards, maybe it won't.

Everyone says how the Forum is so friendly, lets not make it friendly on our terms only. Not helping this newbie was wrong.

Why not ask the newbie who I am contradicting myself on, if they would be happy if it plugged in and worked from the person he bought it from? My guess is the answer would be YES!!

I always admired the Factory painted 202, sorry old habits.... D1 in your avatar. Would you throw it away since you do not have the matching BSP Subset?

Sorry that I contradicted myself. I am old and in the way as my friend JG used to say.  I was just trying to help someone in need.  Bad Kidpone   :o

Its a hobby....its supposed to be fun

Kidphone

BDM

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 18, 2014, 09:28:28 AM
Greg....when a newbie asks to have some help and no one replies to help ...BUT tells them to buy additional parts, we are doing that newbie a disservice. Sorry if you do not agree. 

Correct, I do not agree. I believe in installing the correct networks for proper operation. Personally I'm not sorry if you agree or not. I'm not looking for acceptance from you or anyone else. It is what I believe and it has nothing to do with being "mean" or being a supposed "purist" or any other title you can attach. If they want other alternatives to operating that phone then and ask, then you can give your opinion as to what to use and I'll give mine. End of story and I'm not going to make a big deal out of it nor attack others for their opinion.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI