News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Some curiosities on Ebay UK

Started by Owain, July 10, 2012, 10:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

A trio of interesting pieces on Ebay UK.

Telephone with a 25-number dial - I don't know if this is a spring return pulse dial, or a rotary switch for use on a 25-way intercom.

The Ozonol Hygienic Phone Cap - 'Just Slip it on! - Kills germs and pleasantly deodorises the telephone mouthpiece. For use at home, office and in public call boxes.' In the early days of telephone use, many people believed that using a telephone was fraught with danger, as it was easy to contract other peoples diseases, germs etc. from the mouthpiece. This delightfully silly device was an attempt to cash in on the idea.

And a Siemens 'roller dial' phone. The Siemens has sold at £148.

( dead links 03-24-22 )

twocvbloke

I like that Siemens phone, looks pretty neat with the dial turned sideways like that... ;D

As for the germophobe era with telephones, I think that for people to catch others' diseases, they'd have to lick the mouthpiece to contract anything lurking on there, but I guess like any spin-doctor, scare enough people and they'll believe it's true, it's the Daily Mail's mantra... :D

LarryInMichigan

Does that Siemens dial actually work like a standard dial?  If so, I will have to get one of those.

Larry

paul-f

Well, it works similar to a standard dial.

You can make calls with it.

One was shown and sold at the Lancaster show recently.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

years ago a green Seimons sidwways dial set brought a large amount on ebay. I worked on a black one standard german rotary dial parts. The other Seimons set almost looks like a Strowger.Good finds

AE_Collector

How rare are the Siemens phones like this one? What sort of money on ebaY?

Terry

Owain

At the moment the Siemens is £1.20 with two bids and nearly 4 days remaining ...

HarrySmith

Is it just me or does AE_collector's message contain a link at the word "phones" to some strange search??
I have seen quite a few of these recently.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Made me think "Oh crap, what have I done now" but looking at my previous post all looks normal to me. No hidden messages or links visible to me.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 11, 2012, 01:07:51 PM
Is it just me or does AE_collector's message contain a link at the word "phones" to some strange search??
I have seen quite a few of these recently.

It's just you... :D

Fire you your anti-virus and get it doing a deep scan, you may have something unwanted on your computer that might be adding stuff in web browsers you use... :)

HarrySmith

OK, thanks guys. I kinda figured it was me since nobody else mentioned it. Time to get to work!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dpaynter1066

I just checked it and I'm getting the correct link. 

Harry what you have is a browser hijack virus.  It intercepts outgoing internet requests and redirects them to  pages with click thru ads that pay by the view or download more viruses .  It's mostly a way to make money by forcing people to view ad's .

Try going to google and searching for Mcaffee or Malicious sortware removal tool or some other antivirus term, if you have it you ll go somewhere else usually.

Most anti virus scanners cant seem to find the virus.  It's pretty tough to get rid of.

LarryInMichigan

QuoteHarry what you have is a browser hijack virus.  It intercepts outgoing internet requests and redirects them to  pages with click thru ads that pay by the view or download more viruses .  It's mostly a way to make money by forcing people to view ad's .

These nasty things can also intercept visits to banking websites and the like to steal account information, passwords, etc..

Larry

dpaynter1066

Here is a beginners guide to removing hijack viruses,  it seems to be reputable.   the programs it mentions like ad-aware have been used by me and are what they say they are according to CNEt reviews of them.  So should be a good resource.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1579

Owain

Quote from: AE_collector on July 11, 2012, 11:43:26 AM
How rare are the Siemens phones like this one? What sort of money on ebaY?

Terry

Sold for £148 with 14 bids.