News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo Bakelite Era Phones - Base Codes & Patent Numbers Survey

Started by AE_Collector, October 02, 2011, 09:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Thanks for the input everyone. I have almost caught up entering all the info. I have asked a few of you additionaly questions in this thread or via PM. I still have to enter the info from Russ do hope to do that tomorrow.

Keep it coming! (when ever it is convenient)

Terry

stub

Terry,
          I modified post on the AE-43.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

recrum

With this one having the metal dial mounting ring and felt bottom it's a shame the bottom decal is missing.

recrum

AE_Collector

Quote from: Russ Kirk on November 23, 2011, 01:34:54 PM
Here 's mine,
D Number from Gold Decal ------------- 177 876
Number of Patent #'s on Decal -------- 8
Style of Dial Number Plate ----------- Alphanumeric, Red numbers black letters
Ringer Left Coil Number--------- D-287350-A
Ringer Right Coil Number-----------D-283749-A
Thanks,
Russ

Hi Russ:

A couple questions / clarifications:

Is there a D# as well as the DES# on the decal? Usually it is lower left corner and looks like this:
D-780504-A41

And is the decal the gold transfer type decal?

8 patent numbers PLUS the DES # listed? (just making sure the DES # wasn't counted as a patent #.

Does the dial number plate have a "Z" and or OPERATOR on it?

Does the phone have the usual rubber ring base gasket rather than felt?

And finally, can you check the right inger coil # again. You put D-283749-A but I think it is probably D-287349-A (7 & 3 interchanged). I know, you were testing me!

Thanks a bunch..........Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on November 24, 2011, 11:24:28 AM
Terry,
          I modified post on the AE-43.  stub

You just changed the picture to the capacitors and schematic, correct?

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: recrum on November 24, 2011, 12:19:39 PM
With this one having the metal dial mounting ring and felt bottom it's a shame the bottom decal is missing.

I agree, that is too bad. I have seen paper labels glued to the felt so it is pretty easy to have it go missing. These are the two new phones you just got on ebaY?

These two were full of new info for me. Both with grooved bakelite caps, one with a metal dial mount ring and a felt base.

Thanks......Terry

stub

"So I wonder why the AE43 has 2 seprate caps? I haven't looked in one of my 43's but are you sure there are two seperate caps in there?"

Terry,
        Yes, so you could see the capacitors in question.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HarrySmith

Hi Terry,
Here is a link to the AE 40 I restored and sold on ebay a while back: https://picasaweb.google.com/103483280648956762530/AE40BeforeAfterSOLD#
I dont know if it has any info you can use. I may have a couple of others in my to do pile, I will have to dig through it one day!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Harry:

I think I can get almost everything I need from all the pictures you have there.

I have in the past enetered quite a few phones into my database from ebaY listings but there is always a number of unanswered questions when trying to do it that way without the ability to grill the seller!

Thanks......Terry

AE_Collector

I copied this over from the following discussion:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6001.msg71661#msg71661

The code B20 on the back of the AE50 indicates it originally had a 20 cycle ringer where as you identified a SL ringer in it now. Thanks for pointing out the cloth inslated wiing on the ringer/condensor in an otherwise plastic insulated wire phone. That confirms that "The Rest of the Story" is that it was converted to a SL ringer later in life. Ironically it received an older ringer rather than a newer one, likely out of a "previously enjoyed" AE 40 or 50.

To be honest that is pretty much the extent of my ability to decipher coding so far. With AE40's there are 40xx & 41xx series phones and the same with AE50's; 50xx & 51xx. I have yet to detemine what changes go along with the bump up from 50 to 51 numbering. Cloth to plastic wiring? Not likely directly related. Older larger ringer to newer smaller ringer? Maybe at least part of the story. I don't pay at lot of attention to wiring schemes within the phones. Maybe there was some more significant rearrangement within the phone.

Terry

recrum

AE_Collector

Quote from: recrum on December 25, 2011, 01:07:52 PM
Here's one more for a type 40

Thanks Richard. I got t all entered. Is the base stamp with the patent numbers stamped in black or red/oronge? Most are black. The 40 has the usual rubber ring gasket, correct?

Odd that all 4 of your 40's are SN models. Two SN4020's and a SN4022 and a SN4023.

Can you check the receiver and transmitter capsule for markings as well. I have started to note all of that info as well.

Anyone else who submitted info previously can send me the receiver/transmitter capsule info if they have the opportunity. Please give me the 3 base codes of the phone as well to help me tie it to the correct phone.

Terry

recrum

Quote from: AE_collector on December 26, 2011, 10:25:44 PM
Quote from: recrum on December 25, 2011, 01:07:52 PM
Here's one more for a type 40

Thanks Richard. I got t all entered. Is the base stamp with the patent numbers stamped in black or red/oronge? Most are black. The 40 has the usual rubber ring gasket, correct?

Odd that all 4 of your 40's are SN models. Two SN4020's and a SN4022 and a SN4023.

Can you check the receiver and transmitter capsule for markings as well. I have started to note all of that info as well.

Anyone else who submitted info previously can send me the receiver/transmitter capsule info if they have the opportunity. Please give me the 3 base codes of the phone as well to help me tie it to the correct phone.

Terry

I thought it was odd also about the base codes as locale can't factor in, I've got them all off eBay from all over the country.  And internally non are identical.  I'll take a peak in the handsets in the morning and post the new info on the transmitors and receivers.  And yes, it has the rubber gasket stil intact.  The base is black with the stamping in orange.

AE_Collector

Quote from: recrum on December 27, 2011, 01:25:44 AM
I thought it was odd also about the base codes as locale can't factor in, I've got them all off eBay from all over the country.  And internally non are identical.  I'll take a peak in the handsets in the morning and post the new info on the transmitors and receivers.  And yes, it has the rubber gasket stil intact.  The base is black with the stamping in orange.

The majority of AE40's first base code start with L or N. You have 4 of the 5 AE40's on my list that begin with SN!

A couple of other items I am noting now since your previous survey submissions are type of label (Gold transfer, paper, red or black in stamp), Capacitors: 1 or 2, D#'s or MF rating, large cap with 2 or 4 terminals, ringer: all markings, D#, L&R coil numbers, resistance etc. If any of that info is quick and easy to get I would appreciate it but don't go to too much effort.

Thanks again!

Terry