"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Attack of the killer AE 40s

Started by HobieSport, September 12, 2009, 07:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Quote from: Phonesrfun
Generally, you will need a straight line ringer in each to work, unless by chance you have a 20~ frequency ringer.

The frequencies to which the freq. ringers are tuned are within pretty tight specifications.  At best, all a freq ringer will do is vibrate a teensy bit at 20~.

Hook them up and try them out.

Okay. I have ten AE 40s sitting here on the desk staring their guts at me. So that I don't get overwhelmed, could I get some help understanding one at a time? Let's start with the one on the far left:

Is this a frequency ringer, and how do I read the frequency numbers?

Do the numbers on the base give a clue, or just the bottom numbers on the ringers themselves?:
-Matt

HobieSport

And four out of the ten AE 40 ringers that I have look and read like this:
-Matt

HobieSport

And three of the AE 40 ringers look like this:
-Matt

HobieSport

As far as just hooking them all up and trying them out, I think it might be better if I learn which may be "straight line" or "frequency" ringers first, just from the numbers and clappers (and ringer electromagnet sizes?) So for now I will calmly await any and all words of wisdom. Please feel free to ask any questions or request other photos.
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Hobie, that huge, heavy clapper is the best clue.  Those weighted clappers, or strikers are on frequency ringers.  Looking at the label on the ringer itself you should see 20~ on a straight line, or SL.  If the ringer reads for instance 42~ then it's a 42Hz (cycle) ringer and won't work on today's lines.

JorgeAmely

HobieSport:

Only the last two ringers pictured are 20Hz, straight line ringers. All others with a stiff clapper movement are frequency ringers.

Jorge

HobieSport

Thanks Dennis and Jorge. It looks as though I'll need to remove some of the ringers from the bases to read the ringer labels completely, but just for now, of the ten phones, only two have the heavy clappers, and most of the others do say "SL" at the top left of the ringer labels.

I also notice that in general, some of the AE 40 ringers have altogether bigger ringers:

The gongs are bigger (and thus toned differently) the ringer electromagnets (if that is not the correct term please correct me) are bigger, (and black in color instead of brown on the smaller ringers) and thus have longer clapper arms.  

Pictured are two examples of the big and small ringers. Both the big and small ringers pictured do say "SL" on the upper left of the ringer label.

Just in terms of straight line ("SL") ringers, I'm wondering if at some point in AE 40 history, they may have switched from the big to small ringers. It might just be a way to help date the different phones, since AE 40s in general seem difficult to date.

Anyway, it's fun to compare so many AE 40s together all at once, and for now I'm just learning about the ringers.
-Matt

bwanna

thanks for starting this thread, hobie. i have just begun to look at AE sets with some interest.

thanks jorge & dennis for the info.

was beginning to worry about you, hobie. haven't seen you post in a few days. ;D
donna

HobieSport

Hey, Bwanna; it's nice of you to worry about me.

Yes I do like the AE 40s, and it's fun to compare a bevy of them. I sort of like working this way, with a group of similar yet different phones to learn about and compare, rather like a mini phone refurbishing factory worker in training.

I also have bevies of WE 500s and 302s and a few Strombergs etc. but I decided to tackle the AE 40s first. Hopefully my struggles to understand them may be a benefit to the group in the long run? That's what this thread is about.  :)
-Matt

Tonyrotary

I find the AE40 to be a nice phone that I want to own. But I really want a nice AE50. There was a decent one on ebay that just ended but I held off bidding.

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 15, 2009, 10:10:35 AM
I know it's a bit off topic of the AE40 but since you mentioned bugs........

I posted this on my blog a while back.  Some of you may have seen it.  It taught me a lesson about letting a "new" phone, right out of the box sit on the kitchen table...........

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=19

I may have told this story here, and have told it several times in the antique radio forums.

One day I bought a Zenith console radio. I brought the whole set inside the living room. I then decided to remove the chassis for inspection. The set was very clean, chassis and all. But, the set did have a "damp" smell to it. As though it spent some recent time in a dark damp basement. I knew it couldn't have been long due to the sets appearance. Wood and old metal won't survive long in a damp environment.

So, I remove the chassis. Holding it with both hands, I started to lift it above my head for a looksie ;)  Well, what pops out and off the chassis? One of the largest wolf spiders I've seen :o Right on to my chest below my neck. This "thing" had weight I could feel as it made contact with my front side! Of course we all know how fast those spiders move, and this one was pissed!! During his struggles to run around my front side, he made it down my loose open T-shirt. I immediately set the chassis down (no, I didn't drop it), and did a song & dance you wouldn't believe, as I tore away my T-shirt.

During the process, I managed to smash him against my belly. YUCK! You're getting the picture right ;) Having immediately moved the whole set outside. I now inspect all sets, top to bottom, side to side before they enter the home.

On a side note, a good friend of mine brought in this large RCA console. What he didn't know was all the cockroaches that made a home in it, later made his home their own! Yup, after his wallet lost weight due to the "Orkin" man paying him a visit, he now lives by the same rule ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Great story Brian, and well described.  I could picture that spider as I read your accounting of that experience. 

I have to admit, I have been known to open phones on the table again despite my own advice against doing so.

McHeath

That's a hilarious tale.  Wolf spiders look pretty scary, and can be way too big.

This is all good advice that I need to start taking, open up the new goodies out in the garage to make sure that someone does not find a new home. 

HobieSport

I have arachnophobia to some extent, the the Wolf Spider story really creeps me out.  :o But a good laugh, too. I could handle lot's of baby spiders though. They're cute.

I did notice that of all the AE 40s that I opened up, all are surprisingly clean inside, with no unwelcome er...guests. I think it has to do with the rubber gaskets and the screens over all the vents.

Tony; you'll find your AE 50 someday, just be patient. They seem to hover around $80. on eBay for ones without chips or cracks. More for the chrome caps of course. I got mine for $43 (not chrome) with a tiny crack near one of the screws.
-Matt

BDM

Quite common in wet or damp areas. Especially around areas of lakes, like my location. They can get quite large. Normally I leave them alone. They're great killers of large ants, pill bugs, roaches, etc. etc. This is the bugger I had an encounter with. BTW, the wife walked in right after, asking what was wrong. As she heard me yapping like a foul mouthed little girl. Me standing there with a torn t-shirt, and a pissed off look, and a smashed arachnid across my belly ;)

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI