"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from Rhode Island

Started by Buzby, November 30, 2015, 10:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzby

Hi there, folks!

I believe that my childhood case of phonepox may have reawakened and given me a nasty case of the ringles.

I think it all started back when I was 6 years old.  My dad, who worked for British Rail at the time, was tasked with the clearing out of an old station so that it could be sold and ended coming home with a couple of tea chests of stuff that was destined to be thrown away. Among the many treasures was an old candlestick phone, which I coveted, and eventually had as a play phone, and it gave me countless hours of pleasure.  Then one day it was gone. To become a lamp.

Fast forward to the present day. M wife and I are in an antiques store in Connecticut. She's agonising over the perfect vintage gift for a relative, so I go wandering, and find myself staring at a collection of phones for sale. Something stirs inside me. Although there's not a candlestick in front of me, I suddenly feel that childhood pleasure wash over me. These are foreign phones to me, but just picking up the handset of an AE40 and putting it to my ear suddenly brings back a myriad of memories. Perhaps there's something in the bakelite.

My wife finished up before I decided to buy one of the beauties before me, but the desire was in me.

As soon as I got home, it was the internet for me to learn more about these beauties I had spent time with, and how to make one mine.

LarryInMichigan

Welcome to the forum.  If you take my advice, you will RUN or you might end up like me (and at least a few others here) with HUNDREDS of phones and nowhere to put them all :)

Larry

dsk

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 30, 2015, 10:37:52 PM
Welcome to the forum.  If you take my advice, you will RUN or you might end up like me (and at least a few others here) with HUNDREDS of phones and nowhere to put them all :)

Larry

X2 here. Welcome to CRPF.

Doug

paul-f

Welcome, Buzby.

You are among friends.  Many of us have had similar outbreaks and are continually finding and sharing creative ways to justify our passion to friends and loved ones.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Buzby

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

HarrySmith

I guess I should have read this before I posted in your other topic about the NE phone.
Welcome!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

Welcome to the forum, Buzby.

I'm sure you'll find countless hours of amassed info, and helpful, experienced, knowledgeable members who are keen-eyed and helpful with solving telephone issues.

Please, don't be afraid to ask a question... I've probably asked most of the stupid ones already!  ;D

Best regards,

Bones
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Buzby

Go raibh míle maith agat, Cnámha!

I'm sure I will have lots of stupid questions, being new to this.

As my dad said, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there are plenty of stupid answers".

I don't think that I'd get a stupid answer here, but beg in advance for the understanding of a new to the scene collector asking things that may be taken for granted.

HarrySmith

I was told once, by a very smart person, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

BTW- Where about in Conn? I was born and raised in Stamford.
Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Buzby

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 05, 2015, 09:39:39 PM
I was told once, by a very smart person, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

BTW- Where about in Conn? I was born and raised in Stamford.
Harry

Not sure where it was in CT, but I'd guess at Putnam. It's 15 minutes away, but in Rhode Island money, that's a long trip.

New Haven is probably the farthest south we've gone wandering, but I've spent plenty of quality time in Stamford on business. New York, but without the attitude.

HarrySmith

Yeah, Stamford did turn into a New York suburb. It was not like that when I was a kid, there was still farms and orchards around back then!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"