News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Transmitter Cups

Started by Sargeguy, August 13, 2011, 02:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

WE made a wide variety of cups to accommodate the different transmitters they used on their phones.  They were nickel plated and painted black.  Some were holed, others were not.  Some were two piece while others were a single unit.  Some were notched and others had holes for the transmitter screws.  This is by no means comprehensive (or factual) but I will attempt to sort through some of the more common types in my collection and elsewhere.

***One consideration when matching a transmitter to a transmitter cup is to make sure there is only one set of patent dates on the transmitter and cup.  Early transmitters had no patent dates on the banana tag because the dates were on the cup.  The later cups had patent dates on the tags but none on the cups.***

Earliar Types:

The early cups were designed to be interchangeable with the several types of transmitter arms and,  later,  the mounting bracket for 20-X series and earlier candlesticks. 

Here is an early type that showed up on a Frankenphone sold on eBay recently:

It has patent dates that refer to Bell's original patent, meaning it was made in the early 1890s.  This is one of the earliest types of transmitter cups used by the Bell System.

Early patent date type.  Note the round hole in the center rather than the notched hole found on later types.  These were used on solid transmitter arms that had the wire alongside and earlier candlesticks (???) They can be found in original nickel or black over nickel and would have been used from 1902-1906.

Similar to above only with the later hole.  The hole was redesigned to more easily accept wires,  most likely when the hollow transmitter arm was introduced.   This does not have a second hole, which indicates that it was from a wall phone, not an early candlestick.

Later patent date type used on 20-X series candlesticks or solid transmitter arms from 1908-1909.  The phenolic grommet is still intact.

Interphones, railroad apparatus and non-Bell System phones had either just the dates or nothing at all:

Middle (?) patent dates without Bell markings.  In use 1906-1908.

Same as above without hole

Used 1908-1909

Holed, without the dates or Bell markings

Same as above without hole used on solid transmitter arms.

Some early cups were refurbished during the depression for use on later candlesticks like the 20AL or 51AL.  They were riveted to hollow brackets and the screw holes were notched for easier servicing.  These are found with a variety of transmitters.  They are re-painted black.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Later types

Later types found on the 20-XX series candlesticks and later were one piece.  By this time transmitter arms were out of fashion and smaller mounting brackets were used on wall phones.  The 300 series insulated transmitter was introduced and the 200 series uninsulated transmitters were being phased out. 

Typical 20-XX series candlestick cup with ABT markings and no dates.  This one is correct for a 20PC.  Most were black.

Same as above with "PATENT APPLIED FOR" markings

This came off an Interphone that used a 229w transmitter.

Same as above without the hole.  Came off an Interphone with a 323w transmitter.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Wow....I had no idea there were that many different transmitter cups. Outstanding job!....thanks ....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

Great info! Thank you for taking the time to assemble it and post it. It goes into my reference file for sure.

Bill

HarrySmith

Nice post.
Thanks for assembling all that great info!

Is it possible to get all that into a single file for storage? I am not that great with computers so I do not know how or what program to use. Maybe one of our more computer orientated members can combine it all somehow?

Thanks ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

K1WI

::)

Sargeguy

I forgot about those.  

The example above is "sandblasted nickel" that had been re-painted black.  This example features raised lettering and says "USA" rather than "MADE IN USA"  The general consensus from the TCI listserv was that these are from railroad apparatus.  I sold this on eBay a while ago.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

Sargeguy:

I took your information and rearranged it so it would fit on three sheets (only the first sheet is attached), in response to HarrySmith's request and my own desire to file the good information you provided. Let me know if I misconstrued anything.

Chuck

Sargeguy

Chuck, I see this as a work in progress so far.  You might add the disclaimer that much of the information beyond the description of the cups themselves is conjecture on my part.  If anyone has any better information, or alternative explanations, please post here.

I just added some more info on dates based upon the 17-year term that a patent was in effect.  I also corrected a couple errors in the order of the non-Bell System cups, so the captions match.  If anyone else has examples that I haven't covered (I am sure there are lots) send me a pic and I will add them.  I know of one variety that was stamped "FOR EXPORT ONLY"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

Here is the final - three pages with all of Sargeguy's information. Sargeguy: any errors I introduced in your material?

Chuck

8/16/11 - See later posting for corrected download

Sargeguy

I just made a couple corrections of errors I made that you copied.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dencins

Quote from: Sargeguy on August 15, 2011, 07:37:55 PM
I just made a couple corrections of errors I made that you copied.

Greg

In case you have not already done it the 20XX in two places on page 3 should be 2XX.

Dennis

cihensley@aol.com

Thanks Dennis. I corrected the master. Sargeguy: did you find errors other than those identified by (decins).

Chuck

Sargeguy

Dennis I meant 20XX to the the later series candlesticks lie 20AL 20PC 20SC that used 200 or 300 series transmitters to differentiate it from the earlier type that only had one letter like the 20B 20S 20T etc. that used 200 series uninsulated transmitters.  I will add a hyphen and the words "candlestick" to clarify.

CHuck, I thought I attached the corrected document.  I will re-do it and reattach once I have the clarifications I just mentioned.  I also want to add another early variation I just found.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

Here are the file with Sargeguys changes. I shrunk the page so they should print better.

Chuck