News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Princess phone wont ring

Started by carl, July 05, 2009, 07:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Hi everyone..well I'm back with a new problem.I recently got a 1970 princess phone, number 702 which works but wont ring.I did find
a schematic here but I'm unable to comprehend it thanks to my limited brain capacity and I was wondering if someone could give me
some basic...I mean basic info on how to get this nice little rotary phone to ring.There are several colors of wires and if I could just
switch red to black or green to yellow or something like that I can handle it.Thank you,Carl

bingster

What sort of plug is at the end of the line cord?
= DARRIN =

carl

Hi..it was a four prong but I changed it to a modular adaptor,matching the red,green,black wires to the new plug in adaptor.

bingster

Okay, open up your adapter, and put the phone's yellow conductor AND the phone's green conductor under the green screw.  Try the phone, and see if that fixes the problem
= DARRIN =

carl

Success! Thank you very much! Carl NYC

Dennis Markham

bingster

Actually, a while after I posted that, I realized there was a good chance it wouldn't work.  Since the yellow and black conductors are usually for energizing the lamp, they yellow shouldn't be part of the ringing circuit.  Odd that it worked. :-\
= DARRIN =

jsowers

Not odd at all, Dr. Bingster. Look closely at a hard-wired 702 and you will see the yellow wire hooks to the same screw as the black wire of the ringer, on the G terminal. It's the white and black pair that light the lamp. Hard-wired 702s have a 5-conductor mounting cord. I vaguely remembered that being the case, but I confess I took my moss green 4-67 702B off the shelf and looked inside to make sure. So your advice was 100% correct. Send Carl the bill.  ;)
Jonathan

carl

I actually have a touchtone princess but the wiring is quite different so I knew
if I went to the experts on this site,I'd be able to get the right info in a manner
which I could understand,which I did....I was also able to get my also newly
acquired #500 black desktop to ring,simply by following the advice someone
had posted about moving a black wire to another wire,so that also worked
out well for a novice like me.Anyway,thanks to all for the info and I know
when another problem comes up I'll know where to look for the answer.Carl

carl

I don't know how this happened but all of a sudden the phone stopped
working,as in no dial tone.After I had gotten it to ring,and leaving it apart overnight,I  put the top back on
and reconnected it and it simply refused to work.I'm sure I didn't touch anything or move any wire,other than the ringing set up.I wonder if someone can tell
me what happened and could offer a repair suggestion.Very frustrating,
since it was working and ringing perfectly just the night before.
Again,thank you,Carl

bingster

Try taking the phone apart again, just as it was when it last worked.  Does it work again?  If it does, then something may be shorting out when you put the cover on.  Check all the wiring in the phone to see that the spade lugs are well clear of each other and clear of other nearby screws.  Also make sure all the screws are tightened down.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

It's my fault Bingster, because I said the fix was easy.  I jinxed it!

Jester

I've run into this before on the princess-- are the plungers moving up as you remove the handset from the cradle?  If they are not, the chances are good that a slot on one or both of them misaligned with the fork underneath and the plungers are bound inside the cover.  Remove it and turn the cover over to check that both plungers move freely.  I'd also check all connections as Bingster suggested-- just to be sure.  When you're ready to put the cover back on, turn it upside down-- this will ensure the plungers can't get caught by the switchfork-- and assemble the base to the cover in this manner.
Stephen

carl

I'll keep trying...so far nothing but we'll see.I really do appreciate the time and effort coming from this site.I'll keep you apprised of
any changes.Carl.. NYC

Dennis Markham

Carl, I know you said you don't get a dial tone but when plugged in, call the phone with a cell phone if you can, just for grins to see if it rings.  It is possible the problem is in the handset, handset cord or receiver.  It seems unlikely that the U1 receiver piece is bad but perhaps a wire lead is off.  Even though you don't have a dial tone (because you don't hear one) use the phone to dial, say your cell phone.  See if it's dialing out.  Also, try a plugging it into another jack, if possible.  Could be a line cord/plug issue too.