and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Favorite Music?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 29, 2017, 08:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

What's everyone's favorite music?

I'll start off...

-Most music from 38 Special. Namely songs like "If I'd Been the One", "Chain Lightnin'", "Hold on Loosely", etc.

-Some music from The Eagles, like "Lying Eyes", "Take it to the Limit", and "Take it Easy".

-Some music from Chicago, like "Old Days" and "25 or 6 to 4". My Dad used to play Chicago a lot when we were driving around when I was much younger, so I have plenty of memories hearing some of their songs (like Old Days, ironically).
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

Good choices Christian,

I'm a big sucker for classic rock. I think 70's is my favorite decade.

nolan613

Well for me I heard a lot of Big Band at home, Goodman, James and the like. Still enjoy the early 60's music from my high school years. It's all good.
Success is not final,
failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts

Winston Churchill

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Kenton K on March 29, 2017, 08:32:21 PM
Good choices Christian,

I'm a big sucker for classic rock. I think 70's is my favorite decade.

I agree, '70s has to be my favorite decade for music.
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

Quote from: nolan613 on March 29, 2017, 08:51:33 PM
Well for me I heard a lot of Big Band at home, Goodman, James and the like. Still enjoy the early 60's music from my high school years. It's all good.

Ohh yes, since i started lindy hopping, jazz has become a common place at home.

jsowers

My musical tastes are those of my parents' generation instead of my own. Whatever I like is usually older than I am, though I remember songs I liked from the 1960s and 70s growing up. I do remember Chicago and played 25 or 6 to 4 when I was in band in junior high (first alto sax). I subscribe to Sirius/XM and listen online and in the car. The channels I have as favorites are (don't laugh) Holiday Traditions, LaughUSA, Radio Classics, Escape, Siriusly Sinatra, On Broadway, Oldies Party, Elvis Radio, Sirius/XM Pops, Symphony Hall, 40s Junction and 50s on 5. Old stuff. I can listen to Christmas music any time of the year and only get tired of a few of the songs. I'm listening to Sinatra at the moment.

I also collect old LPs. Mostly Christmas music, but also Deustche Grammophon and RCA Victor Red Seals, especially Toscanini and Herbert Von Karajan recordings. Also Frank Sinatra records and movie soundtracks. Some of the opening themes of movies from the 1950s and 60s are my favorite music of all time. Most of my records came from thrifts for $1. Below is a picture of about half of the records, stored in my spare bedroom on two shelf units. I stopped accumulating them when I realized I was running out of room.
Jonathan

compubit

I listen to almost anything: 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, country, "adult contemporary", rock, classical.

The only things I don't like are "heavy, heavy metal" and "in your face" rap.  I wasn't a rap fan at all until I was in Italy and heard someone rapping in Italian - it was so smooth and flowing - that softened me up a little...

Growing up, I listened to whatever my parents had on the radio - and I was in marching band, concert band and jazz band during middle and high school - also Alto Sax!

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Fabius

Classic Rock 1970s: Queen (best classic rock band ever!) Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Linda Ronstadt, Blue Oyster Cult and the list goes on.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE_Collector

I agree with most, the music of the 70's though I like a fair bit from the 80's as well.

I too played sax for years. Primarily alto but I still have a soprano sax as well. I played Baritone sax quite a bit and it was hands down my favourite (other than getting it back and forth from school band to home to community band....occasionally on my BIKE!). Never played tenor sax much at all.

Long story short, this is why I particularly liked the band Chicago. Lots of great songs from them but "Old Days" has to be one of my favourites to crank the volume up for.

My favorite band to play the sax in was a 16 piece dance band that played music of the 30'scand 40's. "In the Mood" !

Terry

TelePlay

Having done sound effects for live theater for more than 20 years, I've been exposed to everything recorded before 2000 going back to late 1800's wax cylinder recordings and it's all good including a lot of music written for musicals. Just depends on what's needed for the moment. Grew up in the 60's so that was my era but so much good stuff from the 40's to the late 80's in all genres. The list of what I don't like would be very much shorter and mostly anything or even everything post 1995. I think what drives my interest in any song is the good memory is brings back from earlier times. And then there is the stuff I discovered doing research for plays, music that was period to the play's setting and discovering stuff for the first time. If it were not for iTunes, I'd still be stuck in the 60's, a decade I seem to have a hard time remembering . . .   ;)

mentalstampede

I like a little bit of everything, but I'm primarily into classic rock with a little bit of metal mixed in. I don't have much patience for current pop stuff, but I'll listen to about anything else from bluegrass to death metal to old school hip-hop. In addition to phones, I also collect LPs, and I've got quite an eclectic mix of genres in my collection.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

WEBellSystemChristian

I don't like any heavy metal, and as a welder-in-training, I have to hear a lot of other welders listen to it! ::)

I like '50s and early '60s music, but it only feels right to listen to around Christmas.

I also hate rap and 'trap' (ghetto rap), which my sister has to listen to all the time. That's what happened when she insisted on going to the middle school on the 'bad side of town'. >:(
Christian Petterson

mentalstampede

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 30, 2017, 11:34:46 AM

I also hate rap and 'trap' (ghetto rap), which my sister has to listen to all the time. That's what happened when she insisted on going to the middle school on the 'bad side of town'. >:(

Good lord, trap is some awful stuff. My limited tastes in that direction are restricted to the older stuff where most all of the songs are based on instrumentals harvested from 60s and 70s funks and RnB songs. Modern pop, rap, and country are pretty much all horrible to me.

Of course Heavy Metal is a whole different can of worms. That genre runs the spectrum from pretty much classic rock with extra loud guitar all the way to stuff that is completely unlistenable.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

HarrySmith

ROCK & ROLL!!

Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, Nazareth, Robin Trower, Black Sabbath to name a few.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KaiserFrazer67

Hi all,

My tastes run the gamut... of old stuff.  As I'd mentioned in another post, my folks were considerably older than the average parents were at the time (they grew up during the Great Depression/WW2), so I grew up with Big Band music (Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, and their contemporaries), as well as the great singers of the 1940s, '50s, and early '60s:  Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Nat "King" Cole, Doris Day, Andy Williams, etc.  I've grown to appreciate good old fashioned 1950s-early 1960s rock 'n' roll as well--Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, you name it.  Also any good music done in that style; I'm a big fan of Brian Setzer.  Rockabilly is my "cruisin' music" of choice.

The so-called "classic rock" is okay, to be honest; I have to be in a mood for it.  I'm constantly bombarded at work by it over the factory loudspeakers, so I've gotten kind of sick of it.  :P  I've never understood why it's called "classic rock," because to me, that term should be reserved for the oldest kind of rock 'n' roll from the '50s. "Classic" is probably the most over-used term in the world anyway, IMHO...  Take "classic cars," for example:  It used to pertain to true classics like Packard, Pierce-Arrow, Stutz, Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg, Marmon, and their ilk; how it ever wound up describing late 1960s and '70s used cars is beyond me... >:(  But I digress...

Neither am I a fan of modern country music; that stuff sounds way too much like pop and not enough like actual country.  Put on some Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, George Jones or Johnny Horton if you want real country music.
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser