News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

National Geographic Magazine

Started by AE_Collector, June 25, 2017, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Any National Geographic Magazine collectors out there? I was one for numerous years but now they are just taking up space. I think I have everything from sometime during WW2 through to about 2000 when I stopped actively collecting them. I also have a lot from "the teens" to W2 era but not complete. I should check those early ones on eBay again to see if they are worth much.

Everything from about 1960 on I would give away for the cost of shipping. If Media Rate still exists in the US shipping can be quite reasonable for magazines.

If anyone is looking for any old issues for a collection let me know what you need.

Another option is harvesting all the phone related articles and advertisements and sending the rest to paper recycling but I really hate to do that!

Anyone else collect these?

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

My Grandparents kept every National Geographic Magazine they received from the late 1940s to maybe 2010 or so. Every last one.

We had an enormous pile collected from my Grandma's stash when we cleaned out her house after she passed away last year. I don't know what happened to all of them, but I assume they were thrown out.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Our Value Village charity thrift stores always have lots of National Geographic magazines so they can always be donated to them.

I thought there must be libraries somewhere that would like a big fairly complete collection but I guess they are all available on a much smaller set of CD's these days as well.

Terry

skyrider

I have been a member of N.G. Since 1972 and have collected them from eBay and thrift stores for the last 25 years. I remove the telephone ads and have them stored in note books for display. It is like a history of telephone advertising. There are many ads on eBay for sale and the asking price has gone up over the years. I have several thousand N. G. In my collection which take up 3+ large book cases in my basement. I also take the car ads and think they would do well on eBay. The car ads from the 19 teens and 1920s are very cool and ads from WWI and WWII are great. AGB was a part of N.G. Early on and his son in law and grandsons were leaders of N.G. Hope someone will take you up on your offer. Several times while driving in my phone van I found stacks of N.G.s put out with some ones trash cans.

Bill Compton

Dan/Panther

I started collecting NG in about 1985. when the Titanic was found.
I  stopped collecting in about 2008. I accumulated about 1600 different issues, from early 1910 to 2008.
As I found better issues I updated the old ones. I had hopes of a wall of knowledge so to speak, but since I've moved to where i am now. it's just not practical.
Over the past few years a few issues have been damaged by mice.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

tallguy58

All available on line these days, no?

Used to have a disk with all of them on there.
Cheers........Bill

AE_Collector

I guess that collectors would all do the same thing....bring home the latest hoard of NG's and then hope that a few would fill in some holes in the collection and then go through the rest trying to decide if the new or existing one were in better shape. Had to be fairly careful to not swap out to the new one and later on discover advertisements had been ripped or sliced out of it!

I think you can buy the complete set if DVD's for $100 or maybe even less on eBay.

Terry