Main Menu

kellogg 1000 with 2 buttons

Started by david@london, December 18, 2012, 05:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

this redbar sold at a bargain price

ebay link         
http://tinyurl.com/bm448e4

i've seen select-o-phones with one button, but never with two....just wondering how this one would work.

LarryInMichigan

There is a picture of a two-button phone like this here: http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/selectophone/selectophoneindex.htm.  Note that Select-O-Phones are wired much differently than standard telephones, they contain DC ringers, and even the dial works differently, so they cannot be connected to a normal phone line as they are.

Larry

wds

I thought this was a steal also!  I couldn't pass it up at this price, and since I've never seen one with two buttons before I knew I had to have it.   I put a bid out there and no one else bid against me so I got it cheap.  I'll post some pictures as soon as it comes.   (Hopefully in one piece this time)

Dave

G-Man

Quote from: david@london on December 18, 2012, 05:14:57 PM
this redbar sold at a bargain price

- ebay link          http://tinyurl.com/bm448e4

i've seen select-o-phones with one button, but never with two....just wondering how this one would work.

The second button is for the Executive Override function.

LarryInMichigan

Finding a red bar with bakelite in this condition is not easy for that price.  If you want to make it work as a real phone, Steve Hilsz may be able to help you with the necessary parts.  My first red bar was a Select-O-Phone, and I naively thought that I could just plug it in.  Steve sold me a wiring block, induction coil, and parts for the dial to make it into a working phone.

Larry

wds

I had Steve convert a Select O Phone dial for me before.  At the time, I had no idea it wouldn't work on a regular phone.  I forget what the SOP dial number was - 10g or 15g
Dave

AE_Collector

I thought that SelectoPhones were always brown colored Bakelite? Are you sure it isn't a conventional RedBar that has had two doorbell buttons drilled into it? Most often phones that have had holes drilled into them for buttons are only parts phones afterwards.

Terry

wds

How cool!  One button could open the garage door opener, the other for the garbage disposal?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Many Select-O-Phones were brown, but most I have seen are black, including the one that I bought.  If I remember correctly, 10G is the model number for the normal Kellogg dial, and 15G was the Kellogg copy of the AE dial.  The Select-O-Phone dial was another number starting with "10".  That dial has pulsing contacts which are normally open.

Larry

wds

It's a nice looking phone.  With the exception of the two buttons, the shell is the nicest of any of the 1000's I've had.  Not sure what to think of the inside though.  Dial is stamped 11A.  The bell is glued to the base, the transformer is stamped I 38, and is held on by one screw.  Anyone have any ideas about this set up?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I am sure that someone took the guts out of a Select-O-Phone and added what's there now to make a working phone from it.  The dial, I believe, is a Select-O-Phone dial and will not work, but it can be converted.

Larry

AE_Collector

Modern single gong ringer possibly from an AE Styleline or something similar. Push buttons definitely "Edwards" door bell buttons. Too bad they were drilled into the case :(

Terry

poplar1

101A Induction coil from a Western Electric 302 or other.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

So,  I can mount this on the garage wall and use it for my garage door openers.  Phones have been turned into lamps, and melted for that artsy look - why not a garage door opener?  I'll use that nice handset on one of my other phones.  Not a total loss. 
Dave

wds

I had Steve Hilsz convert another 11a dial I had a while back, and found the note he sent me about the dial.

"A Kellogg 11A is a special application dial used in Select-O-Phone systems. Where a regular dial breaks the circuit to correspond with the digit dialed, this type of dial actually completes the circuit to a special stepping switch. In other words, it is an intercom dial.

The proper dial for a Kellogg #1000 phone is a 10G. It looks the same as your 11A, but is conventional in operation.

Steve"

Steve charged $6 to convert the dial to a 10a dial.
Dave