News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chlorine bleaching methods

Started by Bartonpipes, November 11, 2014, 03:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusHerb

Here's some pics.  As you can see it bleached well along the bottom. What you said makes sense though.
Jonathan

unbeldi

I think I would have continued bleaching, but judging by pictures is hard.
Seems odd that there are a couple of streaks that look they bleached better, almost as if a stream of liquid ran down there.
Bleaching with Chlorox is definitely not as potent as peroxide, it does take longer.

This phone took at least 20 hours in the solution.

GusHerb

Quote from: unbeldi on January 13, 2015, 01:53:43 PM
I think I would have continued bleaching, but judging by pictures is hard.
Seems odd that there are a couple of streaks that look they bleached better, almost as if a stream of liquid ran down there.
Bleaching with Chlorox is definitely not as potent as peroxide, it does take longer.

This phone took at least 20 hours in the solution.

Hmm perhaps I should try sticking it in again, but all in all that housing spent about a total of 15 hours soaking. I would've expected to see even results by that point. Interestingly enough where those lighter lines are the outline of the ribs on the inside of the housing .
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on November 11, 2014, 04:15:03 PM
There are actually many posts in this forum that deal with that subject matter.
See for example here for a restoration of an ivory set using Clorox bleach.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10094.msg107351#msg107351

Here's another using the retrobrite process.  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1146.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

What you show in your pictures looks like what I got before I started using the creme formula. I figured it was from uneven application and exposure. Follow Unbeldi's advice, turn frequently and keep the solution mixed. That should yield better results.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Quote from: GusHerb on January 12, 2015, 06:54:46 PM
Is bleaching ABS housings a no no? I've not found any mention of that and have only seen postings about bleaching the soft plastic. I took a severely discolored Ivory 500 housing from 1979 and dipped it in a strong bleach solution overnight to have it come out blotchy. The bottom of the housing around the edges is back to original color while there's still cow patches of yellow over the plastic.
This was my first attempt at restoring color and I wanna get this right before I go to work on my pink 1967 1500.

Two different things here.  Chemical restoration of yellowed white phones is a different method and process from restoring colored phones.  White phones may take several applications to restore them to white.  I used the retrobrite process with success, but it took 4 applications.

Bleaching colored phones has not worked well.  Forum member Phonesrfun tried bleaching on a blue phone without success (I can't find the thread, it's here somewhere).  Instead, see this thread about a product called White Magic that worked well restoring a turquoise AE90.  I have not yet used it on a colored phone, but it worked well when I tried it on a white receiver cap.  Problem is it's not found in the US, only in Canada.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e