"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 584DF subset does what?

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 30, 2010, 03:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come in Nighthawk

???

I picked up a W.E. 584DF subset on eBay.  It has a wooden "terminal strip" and a silver "box" (condenser?), and a set of bells (turned parallel to the wall for the slimmer x8x series, as I understand it).  HOWEVER, it has no coil.  What good is that?  What does it do; what was it for?

And much MORE to the point, what can I do with it now?  I wanted to use it as an anti-sidetone subset with one of my tiny collection (so that not ALL my tiny collection would have to make do with "cheater" subsets).  

Pls see>> http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2849.0#bot

Well, this'll "learn me" not to buy something I don't know more about, eh??   :o

Anyway, this W.E. 584DF subset's wooden "terminal strip" only has three paired terminals, labelled "B," "R," and "L2."

"B" has one line going to the ringer and one to the condenser (both terminals used).

"R" has one line going to the ringer, and one terminal "free."

"L2" has one line going to the condenser, and one terminal "free."

HELP!?   ???  How can I set this up for anti-sidetone (or even simply for sidetone) subset use with a B1 or D1 phone??  

HELP!?  ;D

LarryInMichigan

This appears in the article at: http://www.telephonecollectors.org/singwire/abc.htm

QuoteMatching subsets (ringer boxes): 534 and 584 are sidetone subsets. There are also 584 type extension ringers not containing any speech circuit. They are not suitable for use with a talking set unless an induction coil and capacitor are added. 634 and 684 are antisidetone subsets.

You may have the type of ringer box mentioned in the article, not a phone subset.  It should be possible to add an inductor though.  You can probably get an inductor from a 302 somewhere.

Larry

Come in Nighthawk

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 30, 2010, 05:46:31 PM

"There are also 584 type extension ringers not containing any speech circuit. They are not suitable for use with a talking set unless an induction coil and capacitor are added."

...You may have the type of ringer box mentioned in the article, not a phone subset.  It should be possible to add an inductor though.  You can probably get an inductor from a 302 somewhere.

Larry

Its what I feared.  Live n' Learn!  :'( So, sounds like this sort of set was used as an additional ringer (in a manufacturing shop, or garage) or something like that? ???  

So, I need a coil and a way to insert it as that wooden "terminal strip" covers the area where a coil is installed on a 684B subset I have -- which lacks a ringer (bells).  I can't win!!  :D

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.  ;D

AE_Collector

Quote from: Come in Nighthawk on June 30, 2010, 08:46:23 PM

Its what I feared.  Live n' Learn!  :'( So, sounds like this sort of set was used as an additional ringer (in a manufacturing shop, or garage) or something like that? ???  

So, I need a coil and a way to insert it as that wooden "terminal strip" covers the area where a coil is installed on a 684B subset I have -- which lacks a ringer (bells).  I can't win!!  :D

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.  ;D

If you aren't a perfectionist requiring everything be original, you could put a modern network into the ringer box and likely have better overall quality of speach than if it were an old subset.

Terry

Come in Nighthawk

"Pure" -fectionist?  Moi!?  Ask my Frau...  or my thesis students...  :o

Not in THIS case however.  Its going to be inside a box afterall.  And the short-term priority is to get as much of me-tiny-collection "working."  I can worry about "all-original" stuff over the mid- to long-term.  As Doyle Lonnegan said (often), "ya follow me?"  ;D

Oldfonewrx sells 'em IIRC?  Are all his "pirated" out of various (older) fones?  Does "anyone/any company" make made-for-the-purpose mini-networks?
???

JorgeAmely

Automatic Electric of course made them. They are called mini-networks, but in reality, they are full featured networks in a small footprint of package. They have been harvested from late edition phones.
Jorge

Come in Nighthawk

Sorry for the delay.  ::)

This is what the interior of the 584DF looks like.

Not a LOT of room, but I'm still wondering if I can set this up to function like a 584A model...  I was wondering if maybe the small parts (capacitor and/or resistor) of a "cheater" subset would take the place of the coil?   I.E., pls see "Subset wiring diagrams to WE 102/202?" @ http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2849.0

Or maybe even only one of the two small pieces, as it appears a condenser is "on board" the back plate of the DF?  Its under the bells (gongs).  Its stamped in black on the side facing "out" from under the gongs as:

"149A 1 MF T."  

You can just see the "can" and its retaining strap under the dirty brass gongs.  I just removed the bells temporarily, and the strap securing the silver "rectangular can," to reveal that it is "engraved:"

Condenser
Western Electric
USA

Any advice?

???