News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cost adjustments for shipping labels

Started by wds, August 25, 2018, 08:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

Sounds like something is fishy if you're having this much trouble....

You need to look into what's going on. Get a scale and weigh your stuff, check your labels and be sure you're using the correct box for the label.

Other than that, it sounds like they are paying you special attention.

wds

Well, it only took five months, but I finally got reimbursed for 2 of my 3 shipping charge adjustments.  USPS approved the refund within a few days- Ebay on the other hand just couldn't seem to figure it out.  I must have called Ebay 100 times and they always agreed I should be refunded, but continued to blame usps.   I'm not even going to try to get the 3rd one refunded - I could die of old age before I get that one.
Dave

wds

I just received a notice from USPS of another cost adjustment.

Underpaid adjustment: $1.84
Item:     VINTAGE SMALL POWERFUL TELEPHONE GENERATOR / MAGNETO and RINGER
IMPB/Tracking: 9405509699938265509108
Reason:                Service on label didn't match service used
Service on label:               USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate A
Actual Service:  USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate B
Date printed:     Mar 10, 2019
Revenue Assurance ID: 2075023234

Ever since the last little problem, I started taking pictures of all my boxes and shipping labels.  Hopefully all that work will pay off this time.
Dave

Russ Kirk

Great documentation/protection idea.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

I think the discrepancy comes with the term REGIONAL, it is flat rate, but only good for a designated distance from your base of operation to the destination address. For example you can't use Regional to ship from Los Angeles to New York City.

There is always the possibility that sellers will charge a higher price for shipping then send the item in a smaller flat rate box. They figure the PO is so busy they won't check. If you save $2.00 on each shipment that can add up quickly.
Once they randomly check a package, They will flag that shipper. If it's a scam they tag all of the packages and send the seller the new bill. That is what it seems is happening and it's NOT eBay's fault, it's dishonest sellers that don't think the PO is smart enough to figure it out.

JMHO
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

wds

Well, the label matches the box, and was printed through Ebay which uses USPS address verification and authorized shipping methods.  USPS allowed the label to be printed so how can this label be manipulated? 

Also note that they are charging me the REGIONAL Rate box B, which is still a REGIONAL rate box.
Dave

Dan/Panther

Dave;

You are correct, the box does match the label. I don't know what happened.  Is there a weight limit on the Regional boxes. I think there may be.  Did they specify what the discrepancy was with your package ?

D/P

Dan/Panther

Is there a difference between, Regional Rate Box A, and Regional Box A ?

D/P

Dan/Panther

This may help. The boxes have very complicated requirements. Weight to distance restrictions. 15lb Max, and that depends on distance sent. Maybe they calculate you shipped too much weight for the distance sent ?

D/P

https://www.flippertools.com/articles/regional-rate-usps-priority-boxes-explained.html

wds

I actually don't know why they flagged this shipment.  USPS maintains that the problem is caused by Ebay, not USPS.  Of course getting Ebay to admit a mistake is another story.  Personally, I think Ebay is doing everything it can to generate profits, even if the method is a little suspect.  I'm just one little guy fighting back.  I play by the rules, so should Ebay.
Dave

wds

I still hadn't heard back from USPS on the appeal, so I called.  USPS swears the problem is a software glitch with Ebay.  USPS has not had any issues with cost adjustments from any other entities shipping USPS other than Ebay.  USPS says that Ebay corrected the software problem on March 31 so the correction should be "in the mail".  I always suspected Ebay was the culprit.
Dave

Dan/Panther

Quote from: wds on August 25, 2018, 08:51:48 AM
I've been getting a lot of these emails from Ebay, saying that I'm paying the wrong postage for my shipments.  Of course the adjustments always result in higher shipping fees, not lower.  I've been fighting with USPS to get these charges dropped, but USPS blames Ebay for the charges.  Has anyone else gotten these charges on their shipments?

As far as I know, eBay is out of the shipping loop. How are the notifications coming to you.  I understand the Post Office can require additional postage, but eBay only provides the means to calculate the shipping cost. Is it an email from eBay ? I would say maybe the Post Office requested the additional payment, but by what you say that is not the case ?

D/P

wds

I"m still not sure how this works.  The shipping label is generated through Ebay,  Maybe Ebay gets a kickback from USPS for each label printed?  When the postage label is scanned I'm sure it reads as a USPS label printed from Ebay - at that point maybe the bar code is incorrect, reading a Box B when it's really a Box A? 
Dave

wds

I got my $1.84 refund today - from Ebay Shipping. 
Dave