and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. earpiece?

Started by FABphones, November 19, 2019, 08:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

All guesses here:

This is a Western Electric earpiece?
How does it look to you guys, is it correct in there?
The braided cord isn't original to it?
Approximate date range?
Am guessing it is a fairly easy to find piece?

....could you give me an approximate price which I should be paying?

(I would look it up but I don't know what I am looking at/for).

Thanks.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Looks like a WE 706A to me.

From the late 1930 and 40s and makes use of a handset receiver element to increase efficiency and fidelity.

Fairly common and not very expensive - don't know actual current value.

WE Cat 11:

No. 706 TYPE RECEIVER
The No. 706A Receiver consists of a case provided with contact springs and terminal screws, an HAI Receiver Unit and a cap for holding the receiver unit in place. The HA1 Receiver Unit has an impedance of approximately 116 ohms at 800 cycles and is of the control diaphragm, magnetic type used in the combined hand telephone sets. It provides higher quality speech reproduction than former desk stand types of receivers and is arranged so that the receiver units are easily replaceable.

The No. 706B Receiver is similar to the No. 706A except that it includes the HA2 Receiver Unit having an impedance of approximately 275 ohms at 800 cycles.

The No. 706C Receiver is also similar to the No. 706A Receiver except that it includes the
HA4 Receiver Unit having an impedance of approximately 2,000 ohms at 800 cycles.

The HAI, HA2, HA3 and HA4 Receiver Units should not be used in circuits permitting d-c to flow through receiver.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

The braided cord in the picture is not from Western Electric.  It is probably British.  The WE cord would have been brown cloth, two-conductor, and mostly flat.  These receivers are fairly common, so I wouldn't expect them to cost more than $10-$15 in the USA.  I have a spare one, but the cost of shipping it to Europe would probably be too much to be worth it.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 19, 2019, 09:33:24 PM
The braided cord in the picture is not from Western Electric.  It is probably British.

I agree it's not a WE cord. I changed my mind - it might be British, just a bit loose. Certainly not a receiver cord.

I have a spare one, but the cost of shipping it to Europe would probably be too much to be worth it.

I hope you don't mind me saying so but I think this is an odd comment to make. Sometimes I need a part and the cost of shipping is more than the part so the seller won't sell to me. If I need the part I need the part. Unless there is the possibility of getting bulk or multiple items to mitigate the cost of postage, there is no choice.

Often an eBay seller will sell low cost items but he will only sell one at a time - but not to me because the postage is too high. It is not as if he is paying the postage.

The world is a funny place.

Jack

FABphones

Thank you both. My guesses were good  :)  and you guys have filled in the blanks. I now know exactly what that receiver is and more, that detail was just what I needed. Very helpful.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI hope you don't mind me saying so but I think this is an odd comment to make. Sometimes I need a part and the cost of shipping is more than the part so the seller won't sell to me. If I need the part I need the part. Unless there is the possibility of getting bulk or multiple items to mitigate the cost of postage, there is no choice.

I wasn't stating a reason for refusing to sell it but rather pointing out that having it shipped from the USA may not be a cost effective option if a better one exists.  It is am awful shame that international shipping is insanely expensive.  A few weeks ago, a woman in Australia bought the WE 760A speaker that I had listed on ebay.  She needed it quickly, so she had to pay about US$79 for shipping a small $17 item Express to Australia.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2019, 06:44:36 AM
I wasn't stating a reason for refusing to sell it but rather pointing out that having it shipped from the USA may not be a cost effective option if a better one exists.  It is am awful shame that international shipping is insanely expensive.  A few weeks ago, a woman in Australia bought the WE 760A speaker that I had listed on ebay.  She needed it quickly, so she had to pay about US$79 for shipping a small $17 item Express to Australia.

Larry

Fair enough - shipping is very expensive and became more so once eBay introduced the global shipping option.

Jack