News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gold Automatic Electric 80E & 182 Starlite

Started by HarrySmith, January 02, 2011, 07:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Recent eBay find Gold AE 80E & Gold Starlite housings. I got together with another member who knew I would be looking at these and we went in together on them. Here are a couple of pics of the 80 and more are posted here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103483280648956762530/GoldAE80ESOLD# ( dead link 03-11-21 )
He will add some of the Starlite.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tribune

Wow Harry!
That looks fabulous! Not knowing much about them, I assume that the gold finish is original. Very well preserved certainly. Got the real "bling" look about it  ;D
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

AE_Collector

Okay, here's the other half of the pictures. I knew Harry would be interested in these two housings when they came up on ebaY so rather than bid against each other we split them up. Harry did the bidding for both of them since the auction completed while I was at work.

Once my housing arrived I dug out a badly discolored light blue 182 Starlite that I have had around here for years, added the gold housing and switched handset and cords to Ivory.

The early Starlite's had clear number plates that were back painted either with silver or gold paint. I went with a Gold backed numberplate even though it is nowhere near as bright as the finish on these housings.

I have no idea how they make these, they are conventional plastic housings but then they must spray some sort of finish onto them that allows them to then be electroplated or something similar to that.

Presumably there might have been gold plated handsets available as well but not included in this auction. Might be too much "bling" if the handsets were gold!

Terry

Just4Phones

That Starlite is a beauty.  Enjoy it.

Kenny C

I have yet to have a working AE 80 Mine was gutted and all that is left is a case base switch and ringer :(
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on January 02, 2011, 11:27:22 PM
I have yet to have a working AE 80 Mine was gutted and all that is left is a case base switch and ringer :(

So you are missing the network & dial. How about handset/cord? What color is it and is it an 80 or an 80E? 80's with a faceplate like Harry's (above) is an 80E.

Terry

Kenny C

Has a dial and its from 1959 and looks nothing like his its the one where I fixed the hole in the housing
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Harry- nice phone

Terry- That's a nice phone also.  I've been trying to trade Kenny out of that phone but he won't get rid of it.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on January 02, 2011, 11:49:22 PM
Has a dial and its from 1959 and looks nothing like his its the one where I fixed the hole in the housing

Okay, I vaguely recall that. It is a regular AE 80 then. Are there pictures on here somewhere? You need a network and handset then? It is likely black?

Terry

Kenny C

Yes I guess so I'm not familiar with the AE's. No there is no pictures except the back of the housing. Yes all i need is the handset and network and the elements for the handset. And yes it's black soft plastic.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on January 02, 2011, 11:52:36 PM
Harry- nice phone

Terry- That's a nice phone also.  I've been trying to trade Kenny out of that phone but he won't get rid of it.     stub

Ken: I've been updating the ebay handles list today. Looks as though you are putting a Starlite collection together lately?

Terry

stub

Terry,
         I was trying to but I have come to find that the pictures on e-bay aren't that good and I have a few ,too many , to sand . I think I will wait until I can make one of the phone shows to get any more. That way I can see what they look like and then maybe buy some that don't need alot of work.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jsowers

Terry, Excuse me for mixing names from one manufacturer to another, but that's a beautiful Imperial Starlite you made there. Gold flashed housings were often kept on hand by telcos for retirement and achievement awards. Sometimes we see plaques on them. The flashing wears off with use, so it's better not to have it on the handset. I think the one you created is perfect the way it is.

I also think you have it displayed nicely on that table. I wasn't aware that there were silver and gold dial faces for those phones. I mistakenly thought the gold ones were sun-faded silver ones, so thanks for the info.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Quote from: jsowers on January 03, 2011, 09:19:49 AM
I wasn't aware that there were silver and gold dial faces for those phones. I mistakenly thought the gold ones were sun-faded silver ones, so thanks for the info.

Yes I've seen both but most often by far (here at least) are the silver faceplates. The Starlite's with gold faceplates have slightly gold tinted plunger bars as well.

Terry

Phoniac

Gorgeous phones guys, definitely both winners.