News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Butt set VS Butt IN

Started by Dan/Panther, January 27, 2010, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I found this auction interesting since we had the discussion as to the origin of the term BUTT SET.
Apparently this set is actually called a BUTT IN set.

D/P

http://tinyurl.com/y9le46a

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill

Maybe because it doesn't have a rotary dial, it has BUTTINs? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Bill

Doug Rose

I've used one for 30 years and always called it a butt set. Some guys called it a buttinski, hence butt in. Butt set, test set or linesman set are the correct terms....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on January 27, 2010, 06:31:57 PM
I've used one for 30 years and always called it a butt set. Some guys called it a buttinski, hence butt in. Butt set, test set or linesman set are the correct terms....Doug
I always heard Butt in was going on line, Butt out was off-line. I was also told the trems came into common usage from the Telephone trade. My understanding is these are called Buttinskies after the inventor. Somewher I have info that helps substantiate this, I haven't been able to find it. However I remember a Harris-dracon TS-21 ad that calls it a buttinski. I also looked up buttinski (on line) and found that the telephone term is widespread.

I think Butt-in on this handset is a maketing decision, I have heard these called Test sets, lineman's test sets, Buttinski's, butt sets, goat ect. I beleive the proper industry term is buttinski, I also beleive this is based on the inventors name.

JMO

Jim s.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.