News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French U43 in Ivory

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 23, 2013, 12:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I received this: ebay link yesterday.  It is a French U43 in ivory from 1955.  I already have a black one, but the ivories are considerably less common.  It cost a total of $51, so I think that I got a really good deal.  The shell and handset are made of plaskon and are in very good condition with a small part missing on one of the front bottom corner and some minor scratches on the shell and a very small chip on the top of the handset,   I like plaskon because it is very easy to polish to a bright shine.  The dial number plate on this phone is also made of plaskon, whereas the one on my black U43 is enameled steel.

The dial and transmitter and receiver elements are from the 1960s.  This models does not include an internal ringer.  When I removed this phone from the package, something substantial was rattling inside of it, so I opened it and found that someone had crudely installed a WE M1A ringer inside.  The connectors on the ringer wires were soldered to the capacitor and hook switch terminals, and the body of the ringer had been glued to the top of the capacitor with epoxy which didn't hold.  There is a big glob of hard epoxy left on the capacitor.  The ringer was free to move around the inside of the shell and destroy the phone from within, but fortunately it apparently did not do any damage. 

Larry

wds

The ivory phone is really nice looking.  It seems hard to find those (in either color) with the second receiver.  
Dave

LarryInMichigan

The second receiver on this actually works.  The black one came with a second receiver, but the coil was open, and the bracket and cup didn't look so nice, so I removed it.

This phone is working.  I am just about to use it for a conference call.  The receiver cap is badly shaped though, so it is uncomfortable to hold against my ear.

Larry

AE_Collector

Looks like a PBX Console when you see the collection of cords entering the base!

Nice to have the black and Ivory version now!

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 23, 2013, 02:07:42 PM
Nice to have the black and Ivory version now!

Now I need the brown version :)

Larry

david@london

tres bien monsieur larry !

i presume that the 3 cords entering at the side are for the handset, wall cord + extra receiver ?

i always wonder, with these, what the most suitable translations of the instructions on the dial card would be.......

renseignements = directory enquiries ?

reclamations = ?
...........................my dictionary says 'complaints' which doesn't seem likely.  any comments from french speakers ?

HarrySmith

Cool ;D
Nice looking in Ivory, especially with the mother-in-law receiver!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: david@london on October 23, 2013, 02:30:47 PM

i presume that the 3 cords entering at the side are for the handset, wall cord + extra receiver ?

i always wonder, with these, what the most suitable translations of the instructions on the dial card would be.......

reclamations = ?
...........................my dictionary says 'complaints' which doesn't seem likely.  any comments from french speakers ?

You are correct about the three cords.  The line cord is actually just a flat modular cord.  I would have preferred the original, but the color on this matches perfectly.

I do not know French, so I can mostly only guess what the text means. 

Larry

david@london

......police-secours is 'police-help'..........+ les pompiers are the firemen.

Contempra

Quote from: david@london on October 23, 2013, 02:30:47 PM

reclamations = ?

Je parle français et que veux-tu savoir exactement ?.

david@london

ah merci ...........

alors, je me demande quelle est la traduction correcte pour le mot reclamations sur la carte telephonique de monsieur larry.

(ah thank you ...........

then I wonder what is the correct translation for the CLAIMS telephone card sir larry.)

Contempra

Quote from: david@london on October 23, 2013, 03:43:06 PM
ah merci ...........
alors, je me demande quelle est la traduction correcte pour le mot reclamations sur la carte telephonique de monsieur larry.

Si tu ne parles pas de " protestation " bin la traduction de " réclamation " est " claim " (If you do not speak of "protest" bin the translation of "claim" is "claim")

Protestation , plainte = protest.........

tallguy58

Tabarouette! Je suis trop tard! (Tabarouette! I'm too late!)
Cheers........Bill

Contempra

Quote from: tallguy58 on October 23, 2013, 07:19:00 PM
Tabarouette! Je suis trop tard!

ahhhhhhhhh!.. tu ne savais pas qu'il faut se lever très tôt ?.... ;D  Mais je vois bien qu'il y a beaucoup plus de gens qui parlent en français sur ce forum pourtant anglais que je pensais... Tabarouette !... ;)

(ahhhhhhhhh! .. you did not know he had to get up early? .... But I see that there are many more people who speak French on the English forum yet I thought ... Tabarouette! )

Dennis Markham

Very nice phone, Larry.  Congratulations on your find.....and 1955 was a good year!