"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

10 Button Moss Green WE 1234G (1965)

Started by FABphones, October 27, 2019, 07:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan S

Fabphones
What's interesting about ALL the payphones that were used at the Worlds Fair is that none of them any longer exist.
Makes no difference if its a white 3-slot, a stainless steel panel phone with white buttons or a white rotary phone from the administration building. All the payphones are gone.
Finding a Worlds Fair payphone of any type is very easy to do. You just have to look at the phone number. There were newly created exchanges for all the Worlds Fair phone numbers. Actually the phone number that I've had for almost 50 years uses one of those newly created exchanges. If you look at the serpentine phone structure you found the picture of ALL the panel phones have been stripped out of them.

Below is a picture of a rotary phone used in the administration building that I created for the 50 anniversary of the Worlds Fai. It was created for an Ebay auction many years ago. It is an exact reproduction, right down to the phone number.

There are still an enormous number of folks interested in the 1964 Worlds Fair judging by the number of emails I received from people that wanted copies of that payphone. Unfortunately that was the only one I was going to build.
See below.
Stan S.

FABphones

Quote from: Stan S on November 16, 2019, 09:12:51 AM
...What's interesting about ALL the payphones that were used at the Worlds Fair is that none of them any longer exist....

Agreed. I have found no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Quote from: Stan S on November 16, 2019, 09:12:51 AM
If you look at the serpentine phone structure you found the picture of ALL the panel phones have been stripped out of them.

Correct, I saw that too.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

I doubt they would have been scrapped .Most likely refurbished in the normal black color.I have a prototype single slot from 1961 so things might have escaped the system

Payphone installer

The oval 10 button speaker payphone has appeared on this forum in another post,I it was discovered in a barn. I have a giant 10 button princess from the worlds fair that is 3 feet long. I have also seen a clear A/E 40 from the worlds fair a guy had. There is also a go fund me site to restore the enclosure that the panel phones were in with the white handsets and 10 button dials from the worlds fair.  Lots of people grabbed this stuff. Many were managers at the Bell companies.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Latest photo of the Moss Green payphone (at the intermediate tidy up stage).
Vault door, lock, and keys, are en-route.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble