News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very low volume

Started by bitbucket, April 01, 2020, 08:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitbucket

Trying to breathe some life back into this old boy. I think it's a Western Electric. It produces a very faint dialtone though dtmf is at normal level. I can't find any wiring info for this phone so I'm hoping someone can provide some insight.

FWIW, I tried swapping R/T but got only silence when doing so.

Thanks in advance.

Key2871

It's not complete for one thing. If someone has tried to rewire it to work without all the rest that could be why.
Is there an upper housing?
And I'm guessing it's touch tone??
I'd have to find the schematic before I can offer help.
Hang tight someone else who may have the answers will be along.
KEN

bitbucket

Thanks, yes it's touch tone and upper housing is intact. I'M not worried about the coin mechanism. At least not until I can get dialtone on it.

Doug Rose

Did you remove the handset from the phone and bring dial tone directly to the handset? This will eliminate the cord and the elements being bad....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I would also recommend cleaning the contacts. Both sides, on the upper housing & the backplate to make sure there are good connections. The pileup may also be dirty.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 02, 2020, 07:50:50 AM
Did you remove the handset from the phone and bring dial tone directly to the handset? This will eliminate the cord and the elements being bad....Doug
This is a good idea for older phones. However, the varistor on the back of a U1 or U3 receiver will cause low volume when connected directly to dial tone.. Better to connect the pay phone handset to a 500 or to connect a known good handset to the pay phone.

I am not familiar with these "modern" pay phones. In typical residential sets (2500 etc.), low volume is more often the Touch-Tone dial common contacts rather than a bad receiver.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Key2871

I had forgot about the handset..
Doug is right try a different handset, and handset from a 500 set will work.
I had the same problem once or twice with mine, turned out to be a problem with the handset.
I've found that both transmitter or receiver can cause your problems.
And Harry, single slots don't use fingered contacts they use 11 pin octal connectors.
KEN

bitbucket

I've got another handset I could try but I just discovered something  interesting. When you fiddle with reciever hook, there's a position you can hold it in to get full volume dial-tone. If I've got the handset off-hook and gently press the lever down about 1/8th inch, things sound normal.

This seems to rule out the handset as an issue. Are there any common issues with the receiver hook?

Key2871

Well a good picture would help.
There were several variations of the set up used for the hook switch.
If you have a brass contact set on yours I'd say the contacts are out of adjustment.
And getting them correct is possible but you could throw things off too. It would be a matter of finding the correct set, figure out which is causing fault and find how to correct it.
You might even find in used contacts to use instead of the current.
It's hard to say how that set was rewired to make everything work as a standard phone.
KEN

Key2871

Well a good picture would help.
There were several variations of the set up used for the hook switch.
If you have a brass contact set on yours I'd say the contacts are out of adjustment.
And getting them correct is possible but you could throw things off too. It would be a matter of finding the correct set, figure out which is causing fault and find how to correct it.
You might even find unused contacts to use instead of the current.
It's hard to say how that set was rewired to make everything work as a standard phone.

It seems like either a wire is placed where it should have been stored. Or I would try other contacts if available.
Good job finding the problem too.
KEN

Western Bell

woujldn't claeniang tzhe contacts with stiff paper be the ffirst strep and then adjustment if that do3esn't work?

Doug Rose

Quote from: Western Bell on April 02, 2020, 12:48:23 PM
woujldn't claeniang tzhe contacts with stiff paper be the ffirst strep and then adjustment if that do3esn't work?
WB....do you have spell check? Your messages always come out this way....Doug
Kidphone

bitbucket

Just cleaned all lugs and terimnals shown in this photo. I also removed the square-ish PCB and ran some alcohol through the switches. No change.

Key2871

Well that definitely isn't the original dial assembly.

So I would go through the switch wires. I'm thinking someone has a wire goofed up. When the phone line goes in one side of a switch should be connected to that, the other side to the network. But what sounds likes is happening is a hook switch is operating out of sync and it could be that someone just took things and connected them up until they worked.
I'm not sure if I have that same type in my set, but what I would suggest is using a continuity tester connect to each switch, operate the HS each time, find the two that turn on each time the handset would be lifted.
One side of that switch would go to phone line tip, then to associated terminal on tbe chassis.
Same with ring. That should eliminate the problem.
If you don't have a continuity tester you can use a VOM on diode or resistance test. When the reading shows, you got your switch.
Some hook switches have a NO normally open NC normally closed, and the another swtch that needs to operate out of sync with the normal on off of a hook switch feature.
From the looks of that it would have four separate switches. And DONT USE alcohol on that unit. You can screw up the lube that is inside those switches.

Each solder spot from top down indicates common, NO and NC on each switch, and there are four of those in a row.
KEN

RB

Quote from: Key2871 on April 02, 2020, 09:59:37 AM

single slots don't use fingered contacts they use 11 pin octal connectors.
No one as identified this phone yet.
I would start with a schematic which follows the quote, and find one at least close to yours, and start tracing wires.
You are not gonna get very far without a schematic imho