"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Working with Payphone Locks!

Started by DavePEI, June 08, 2013, 06:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

A Tutorial:

Have you ever wished that you could take a used payphone lock you don't have a key for, and make it operable using a screwdriver or blank?

Well, as I discovered this morning, you can quite easily. I had always known you could do this, but had never attempted it. I needed one more lock for my son's payphone's lower lock, and didn't want to spend the money it would have cost to have it properly re-keyed.

Having a number of used locks without keys, I looked through them to see which might be the most suitable and easiest to convert. This one, a single slot lock would fit a 3 slot door quite nicely, and had no cover on it.

So, I got out the tools.

It will require some dissassembly first.

1) Undo the screw on the backside which holds the Cylinder in.

2) Pull out the pressure fitted latch pin on the latch. I used needle nosed vice-grips to do it.

3) Slide latch out through the side opening.

4) Pull the tumbler out vertically.

5) On one side of the tumbler, you will see a string of plugged holes which retain the pins.

6) Remove each of these plugs. Depending on the lock, you may have to use a small hex wrench or drill through the outer portion. They undid using a hex wrench on this lock.

7) Remove each pin and spring from each hole. Tapping on a counter may help these to drop out. Expect to find one key pin, one driver pin, and a spring in each hole.

8 ) When this is done the center plug of the cylinder can be rotated freely within the cylinder using a small flat screwdriver.

9) Place the cylinder back in position in the frame. Replace the screw you had removed previously.

10) Align the cam so that it is facing towards the latch hole.

11) Slide the latch back in to frame (This may require some manipulation of both the latch and of the keyhole/cam)

11A) Replace latch pin.

12) Lubricate lightly, then test the lock with a small screwdriver.. If nothing binds, you are ready to install the lock.

Congratulations!

Now, when I did mine, I disassembled it further than I had to as I has never done this before, and I didn't know how far I would have to go. So, it was a learning experience putting it back together!

Other locks may be somewhat different inside, but for them, it will be a similar procedure. The entire procedure will take only about 1/2 hour to do on similar locks.

Now, I have a free vault door lock for Jeff's phone which will operate with a screwdriver only. Fortunately for my other Chrome 3 Slot, I had a spare correct lock and keys left over from another project, so I didn't need to do this.

Note: Above, I estimated 1/2 hour to do this, but later I decided to do another identical one I had here, and now that I know what I am doing (sort of), it took me only 10 minutes start to finish (and that included getting out and putting away the tools). So, it is a skill that is well worth learning if you have a lot of payphones!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

You can do this with Western Electric locks also.  Grind the tops of the rivet posts off that hold the cover on, pull off the cover, take out the keyway, then remove all of the lock plates.  Then put the keyway back, put the cover back on(JB Weld it or something similar) and then the lock will operate with any key that has the correct keyway.  Or, and screwdriver as you mentioned.

---Eric

DavePEI

Quote from: ESalter on June 08, 2013, 06:47:24 AM
You can do this with Western Electric locks also.  Grind the tops of the rivet posts off that hold the cover on, pull off the cover, take out the keyway, then remove all of the lock plates.  Then put the keyway back, put the cover back on(JB Weld it or something similar) and then the lock will operate with any key that has the correct keyway.  Or, and screwdriver as you mentioned.

---Eric
Hi Eric:

Yes, I knew you could. I chose this lock simply since I could skip the cover work, but pretty well the same process, but with the added steps of removing and re-installing the cover!

Dave, the Lock Un-Smith
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Note:

The image of a lock cylinder above, and the one below, provide the clues as to how you can re-key a lock. Note the plug the key goes into. You put the key in, and if every key pin (D) is a length that will fill the holes entirely in the plug at the shear line with the key in, the lock will operate. If one key pin is too short or too long, the lock won't turn. So, the secret is to adjust the length of key pins (part D) to make the surface of the plug even with the key inserted. If one is too short with the key in, part C for that hole will drop down too far, locking the lock. If the key forces part D up too far, likewise, the lock will lock.

If you have a key which will fit the keyway, you need to adjust the length of all D parts so they meet the outside of the plug (known as the shear line) with the key in. When the key is inserted, all pins (D) must come evenly to the surface of the plug for it to turn.

So, if you have a key that will fit the keyway and you can match the lengths of the pins to the outside of the plug, the lock will operate. If all but one fit, but one key pin protrudes out too far, you can file down the key to make the pin drop down far enough to come out even.

We now understand the concept of how a tumbler lock works.

I am not a locksmith, nor an expert,  but with enough fiddling, you could re-key one if you have a key or blank which will fit the keyway, and the correct sizes of key pins.

--

Dick Pitzer can also make payphone keys:
Phone: 1-937-901-1560
rpitzer@woh.rr.com

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

I was PMed and asked about how to drill Abloy locks.
The first you have to do is to get a metal drill bit of 10mm or bigger. (I use 10 mm since it is the biggest fitting my battery drill)
It is only to start drilling, and making the hole pretty much wider then the key hole. (approx to the mid of the text ABLOY)
The housing is brass so it goes easy, but the first disk you put the key trough is much harder, steel or something. the trick is to get that disk out.  Then you may pick out the rest of the disks with a screwdriver. if you see a needle in there and may remove it the lock is open.  All those disks are in a drum or cylinder inside the lock, and when you open the door you just turn this drum.

dsk

ESalter

When I have to open a phone with an Abloy lock I use a cutoff wheel in the dremel tool.  I use it to carefully cut all the way around the face of the lock, once it's loose, the top falls out, all of the plates/discs fall out and the lock opens.

---Eric

xhausted110

Here's an interesting way to open an abloy that's worth trying! http://youtu.be/4tc8LJiBuOc
- Evan

ESalter

Sadly, the steel frame of the lock covers the back end of the cylinder so you can't pound the innards out in that manner.

---Eric

xhausted110

Oh, yeah. I completely forgot about that.
- Evan

trainman

Theres an older style of Abloy lock that I found on some single slot payphones. It drills out very easily, using the  same idea of enlarging the bezel to pick the tumblers out and then turn with a screwdriver.