News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help getting a KTAS DO 08 type wall phone with added dial to work - wiring help needed

Started by Lee58, August 20, 2017, 10:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Tried a translation of the important 2 phones:
dsk

TelePlay

Based on information from dsk including component connections, Version 2 of the wiring diagram is attached.

Lee58

Changing the terminals for the green/white and blue/brown dial wires did not work.

QuoteSwitching green and brown on the dial may be the solution of the dialing problem, not sure, but it is easy to test, ans reverse the switch back if its not helping.
dsk
Also tried this and did not work

dsk

1: Do you have a dial tone?
2: Do you hear yourselves when you speak?
3: Does it ring on incoming calls? or
How does it ?????

dsk

dsk

It is definitely something wrong in the dial setup, I struggle to find an easy solution, but if you remove the blue wire, it should dial with extremely loud clicks/pops in the receiver.

dsk

dsk

Before measuring unplug the phone from telephone lin, batteries etc.
If you put your meter at ohm measure range 200 ohms you should be able to start testing of the handset.  Removing the handset wires from terminal 1,2,3 and 7 and see if you get any values in pair of the wires.

My guess will be  the wires on 2 and 3 should have a reading of approx 100 ohms (it may be something else, but in that case between 40 and 120 because this is normal readings on receivers),

and if you test the line direct to these wires you should hear the dial tone. (my guess is this is the receiver pair) The other pair should also have reading and it will be unstable when you talk into the mouthpiece. (if someone has just randomly put the wires there you have to figure out witch 2 is what)

If you measure direct on the terminals 2-3 the ideal measure should be close to 36 ohms, (normal KTAS value of secondary winding of the ring formed induction coil.

About 500 between 1 and 7 (if my guess are right and the cylinder is a resistor and not a capacitor).

Bertween 5 and 6 the ringer should have 1000 ohms, so you have to step up to a range ending at more than 1000 ohms.

When you are off hook the 2 upper contacts of the hooksw, should have jest a few ohms, less than 10. Measuring between the upper hooksw contact, and terminal Brown on dial should give the induction coil primary resistance witch should be 27 ohms according to the diagram.

dsk

TelePlay

In a handset test, Lee58 put the line across the handset (disconnected from the phone) and got a dial tone but the transmitter was not responsive. These are the images of the "updated" receiver.

dsk

Seems like you are on the right track!  :)
On your meter you have a beeper function, when it is pretty low resistance the meter will beep.
The first test will be to just test the 2 wires from one end to the other, it should beep. 

If its OK you may need to change the transmitter. 

If you have a known working handset with a cord to lend from another phone, e.g. a WE 500 we could put that in to the KTAS and test if the rest of the phone actually works.

(It seems like the color of the silk on the end of the wires is a kind of color code for the handset cord.)

dsk

dsk

I have modified the schematics, and suspects the fault to be in the pink dotted area; The induction coil or the wires to the primary winding, including the odd splice.  Thank you to Lee who has made a lot of measurements, and pm'ed me the results. I guess we have learned a lot all of us. 

dsk