News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another questionable dial candlestick phone..........

Started by AdamAnt316, August 31, 2020, 08:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamAnt316

Hello again, everyone. As some of you may remember, I picked up a WE 151AL earlier this year which appears to be somewhat of a mishmash (and missing all of its internal wiring, to boot >:(). Well, this past weekend, I done it again. This time, it's a 'brassed out' 20AL (as per the perch) which inexplicably sports a dial pod and what seems to be a #4 dial, not to mention a 'bulldog' transmitter and (possibly) its 'matching' receiver. In addition, the line cord exiting the bottom has a modular plug on the end, which makes me think there's some sort of mini-network inside the base. Here are some photos of the conundrum:

Key2871

That sure looks like a reproduction to me. Common by phoneco and a few others who sold those with mainly AE  Dials, some were sold as kits.
Though ive not seen any with the 51AL stamping.
KEN

poplar1

Most of the repro  WE style (all new other than an AE dial) are marked 51AL. I have never seen one marked 20AL, 40AL, 50AL or 151AL.

My guess is that this is an original  (but brassed out) WE 20AL "perch" with a repro dial base.

Please show the insides including the rack (hookswitch)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AdamAnt316

Thanks for the replies!
Quote from: Key2871 on August 31, 2020, 09:31:40 PM
That sure looks like a reproduction to me. Common by phoneco and a few others who sold those with mainly AE  Dials, some were sold as kits.
Though ive not seen any with the 51AL stamping.
This one doesn't bear any 51AL stamping. Guessing you meant you hadn't seen any with 20AL stamping. I figure that most of the upper parts are original, but the dial pod is very likely a repro. More below.
Quote from: poplar1 on August 31, 2020, 10:07:08 PM
Most of the repro  WE style (all new other than an AE dial) are marked 51AL. I have never seen one marked 20AL, 40AL, 50AL or 151AL.

My guess is that this is an original  (but brassed out) WE 20AL "perch" with a repro dial base.

Please show the insides including the rack (hookswitch)
Yeah, that's very likely, as shown in the photos below. First up is what I was greeted with when I unscrewed the receiver cap, an ITT U1 capsule with a bit of wadding to keep it in place inside the modern plastic 'handset'.  :-\ Larger version here.

Next, the bottom of the desk stand. Definitely looks like some sort of modern felt, rather than what WE used originally, and tellingly, only one screw holding it on. Larger version here.

Next up, what I was greeted with once I coaxed the bottom plate off. Sure enough, some sort of duct tape-covered mini network crammed inside the base. Larger version here.

Next, what it looks like with the mini network removed. The dial is a 5H which was somehow married to this dial pod. Lots of modern-style wiring between the mini-network and dial, some of it insulated with (you guessed it) duct tape.  :o  Larger version here.

Finally, what of the rack I could get a photo of, since I didn't want to discombobulate the franken-innards too much. Not entirely sure if it has 3 or 4 terminal screws. A piece of quad-looking cable leads from the mini-network/dial up through the perch. Larger version here.

I did attempt to remove the transmitter, and was greeted with what appears to be a genuine Western Electric 635B 'bulldog' transmitter (wasn't able to get a good photo of the markings). Don't know what the innards of it look like, though, as I'm not sure how to access whatever capsule might be within.
-Adam

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on August 31, 2020, 10:07:08 PM

I agree.

Jack

Desert Phone Guy

Definitely a reproduction.  A good way to tell is to check the grommet on the base where the receiver and line cord enters.  This one is thicker (or wider) than the Western Electric Grommet.  The Western Electric Grommet is much thinner. 

Also, the imprinting of the dates on the front is not "crisp" as they are on a WE candlestick. 

Steve Cole

Desert Phone Guy

Yes, I should have clarified... the base is definitely a reproduction.. The stem , switch and perch appear old.   Probably, someone  removed the manual base from the original 20AL, and replaced it with a Reproduction Dial Base. 

AdamAnt316

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on September 02, 2020, 12:12:18 PM
Definitely a reproduction.  A good way to tell is to check the grommet on the base where the receiver and line cord enters.  This one is thicker (or wider) than the Western Electric Grommet.  The Western Electric Grommet is much thinner. 

Also, the imprinting of the dates on the front is not "crisp" as they are on a WE candlestick. 

Steve Cole
You are correct, the grommet on this 'converted' 20AL is indeed larger than that on my stripped 151AL, as seen below. Oddly, the 'larger' grommet has a smaller inner diameter for cords to go through than the real thing. Also oddly, the front of my 151AL doesn't have any patent info stamped into it that I can see. Definitely rather of a mutt.

Anyway, I did get around to testing the phone, and it sorta works. With everything crammed into the bottom and the cover attached, turning the dial fails to break the dialtone; with the mini-network removed, it dials normally. I'm guessing one or more of the contacts in the 5H 'pile' is getting impeded by the transformer on the network board, and I'll have to try shifting things around to see if I can get it to work properly, assuming it ever did in the first place..........  ::)
-Adam