"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OLD Wanted- Dial for a 302

Started by JubileeCompact, June 15, 2010, 05:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JubileeCompact

Hey Guys

I recently aquired a 302 for £3 odd from a UK seller :). Unfortunatly its a Dialless version - I know I dont want much for my money lol  :D.

Would anyone have a spare dial  they would like to sell me or if you would like to trade for something from the UK that would be cool as well  :).

If you can help Pm me :)

Cheers
Seamus
Seamus

LarryInMichigan

Seamus,

Does the phone contain a network?  At least some of the dial-less 302s were made to be used with a subset box. 

Larry

JubileeCompact

Hey Larry

I presume its designed to be self contained as it has a ringer in it :).

Cheers for the quick reply

Seamus
Seamus

Dan/Panther

Seamus;
Post some photos of your phone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

A dial less 302 for 6 pounds, $8.89 US according to my convertor, is a great buy!  I don't have any parts for a 302, don't even have one, though if I came across one for that price I would.

AE_Collector

Quote from: McHeath on June 15, 2010, 06:44:32 PM
A dial less 302 for 6 pounds, $8.89 US according to my convertor, is a great buy!  I don't have any parts for a 302, don't even have one, though if I came across one for that price I would.

McHeath:
If $8.99 is GOOD...run 3 pounds (not 6) through your converter and it is an even BETTER deal! No outrageous shipping between continents either!

Terry

JubileeCompact

camera batteries are charging....... its a 15 min charger :)
Seamus

JubileeCompact

Hey Terry and McHeath

I freely admit I stole it- think it was under £10/$15 odd inc shipping :)

Seamus

JubileeCompact

Pics :)
Seamus

LarryInMichigan

It's a 1941 metal 302.  That makes it much more valuable.  Also, it does have a network and ringer.  A dial should be easy to add.  You really got a deal, especially being outside of North America!

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Aren't there some circuit diagrams out there for 302 phones using AE dials?
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

I am sure that there are, but I do not know where.  From what I have observed, the big difference between WE/NE dials and the others (eg. AE) is that the other dials usually shunt both the transmitter and receiver, while the WE/NE dials shunt the transmitter but disconnect the receiver.

Larry

JubileeCompact

Hey Guys

Ive won a WE dial from Ebay for $39.50 inc shipping to the UK :)- watch for Pics very soon :)

Seamus
Seamus

wds

For some reason that I can't remember, I wired an AE dial to a 302 a while back.  Since then, I've put the correct WE dial back in.  But, here's some instructions that should make it pretty easy to wire.

"Most AE dials have five screw contacts. Two of them are the pulse contacts, one moveable and one fixed. The other three contacts are shunt contacts, which short out the receiver during dialing. The fixed pulse contact usually has a strap connecting it to the inner shunt contact. You will be using the two pulse contacts and two of the shunt contacts. For simplicity, the various contacts will be described as follows:

•   Moveable pulse contact  (Y)
•   Fixed pulse contact  (BK)
•   Inner shunt contact  (BK)
•   Middle shunt contact (R)  
•   Outer shunt contact  (BB / W / GN)  

This is the procedure for connecting the Automatic Electric dial into a #302 Telephone Set:

1.   Attach the yellow/brown switch wire to the moveable pulse contact (Y)
2.   Attach both the black handset cord wire and the black condenser wire to the fixed pulse contact. The strap to the inner shunt contact is optional (BK)
3.   Attach the red/slate wire from the induction coil to the middle shunt contact (R)
4.   Attach both the white handset cord wire and the brown/blue switch wire to the outer shunt contact (BB) / W / GN
5.   This is important: On the induction coil, move the red/slate wire from "L1" to "R"

See attached picture of AE dial.  Hopefully this will work for you.
Dave