"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rod Lanthier's coin control module

Started by Kpkube, October 14, 2016, 12:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan S

Keith
I forgot to tell you. Do the above test with the top and bottom of the payphone separated and the coin trigger in the hopper in the down position.
Stan S.

Kpkube

Hi Stan,
  I think the relay I got was modified. It was missing the resistor and I think it had some of the contacts cut. I'm looking to see if I can get another.

Stan S

Kpkube

Quote from: Stan S on October 27, 2016, 11:18:38 PM
Keith
Rod Lanthier?
Just a guess.

The mod on the relay?

I got the relay from oldphoneworks.com. I have sent him an email to see if he has an unmodified relay. I replaced the resistor with one from another relay that was the wrong one. After I replaced it I didn't realize that there were contacts that were cut.

I did the test with the nickel and the microswitch and it did work. Could not dial with the switch in the first position, when nickel dropped I was able to dial.
How do I know if the relay would work. Are there places that I could check voltages?

The internal controller you have. How much are they?  How hard are they to install.
Does it need an external power source?

Thanks
Keith

Stan S

Keith
I don't sell the internal controller modules.
Forget about using that relay. To work with the external controller the coin relay must be original and unmodified.
Stan S.

Kpkube

Quote from: Stan S on October 27, 2016, 11:46:17 PM
Keith
I don't sell the internal controller modules.
Forget about using that relay. To work with the external controller the coin relay must be original and unmodified.
Stan S.

Hi Stan,

Got a different relay.  Are there any tests to make sure it will work?  I tried the 9v test on the reset solenoid, and that works.
Do you only offer the external controller on eBay?  Do you have other pricing for forum members?
Thanks
Keith

Stan S

Keith
The external controller is the only one I sell separately. If someone wants the built in controller they have to buy a complete payphone. See: http://tinyurl.com/zg47eq6. The internal controller isn't something you just stick in the payphone. The entire phone is built around the coin control module and the incoming answer board.

I'm assuming you have an ohmmeter. With it connected between terminals #3 and #4 and with the coin trigger in the UP position you should get an open circuit. With the coin trigger in the DOWN position you should see about 1000 ohms (coil resistance). Some coin relays are stamped 'G' instead of '4'.

Between terminals #1 and #2 with the coin trigger in the UP position you should see a short circuit. With the coin trigger in the DOWN position you should see an open circuit. Terminals #1 and #2 are wired in parallel with the microswitch contracts of the nickel counter. Different combinations of those two sets of contacts disable the pulsing contacts of the dial.

If you have a DC power supply that produces between 45 and 100 VDC you can check the polarity of the coin relay. High voltage between terminals #3 and #4 with the coin trigger DOWN the relay will flip left or right.  Reverse the polarity and the coin relay will flip the other way. Each time high voltage is applied the coin trigger will flip UP and the relay will reset. That's assuming the magnetic card and the plastic cam aren't worn out.

Stan S.

Kpkube

Hi Stan,
  Tested the relay with 45 volts. It works in both directions. Is there anything else I need to test?
Thanks
Keith

Stan S

Keith
Nope.
Sounds like everything is 100%. The phone should work perfectly with a controller.
Stan S.