News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

where can I get a "real" rotary candlestick phone & box?

Started by Cindy67, January 20, 2013, 08:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy67

Hi
I am so new to this.  I found this on Ebay  Item#  321054433879

Description is:

"You are bidding on a wonderful vintage BRASS CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE. I believe it is WESTERN ELECTRIC--It is dated 1910. I had a friend who is retired from BELL TELEPHONE update the receiver to accept incoming calls. So it has a modern cord and modular plug. This phone has a brass dial that was originally painted black. The old phone number is still on the dial--930. The ear piece is cracked but still works. The phone is 12" tall. It has an adjustable mouthpiece. The brass has a nice old patina but could be brought to a high polish.  It is quite heavy at 4 1/2 lbs before packaging."
[/color][/b]

Its ending soon & if its for real I want it!!!  Please help!

Thank you very much
Cindy

rdelius

Cindy67

Cindy67

I got an answer anything 1910 is fake....this one on ebay says 1910, is there anyplace I can get a candlestick phone reasonable & if not updated where to update?  And does it need a ringer once phone is updated?

Thank you

wds

Dave

Dennis Markham

Cindy, I don't know if it's a fake or not.  The experts here will tell you.  But if you want to do some research on your own, look here:

http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm

rdelius

You will need a box called a subset to wire it to for it to work properly.the subset contains the ringer and an induction coil or a network .Prices on ebay vary but origional dial WE sticks can go for $200.00 for one that needs work . The type of dial can make a difference.
Beware brass sticks with AE dials and 1910 patent dates

rdelius

LarryInMichigan

It's so disappointing to see a bunch of bidders fighting over a low value fake like this.

Larry

Cindy67

Oh I am so glad I retracted my bid.  And yes, so many people fighting/bidding over these phones on Ebay.  If I want an antique, I can always go to Pa (I live in NJ) and go to the shops there & they would be cheaper.  Ok so maybe I would have to have it updated but worth it!

THANK YOU ALL

Cindy67

Hi

Ok now that I know buying these phones on Ebay is a big NO NO!  I was wondering where I can get the real thing! 

Thank you again!

LarryInMichigan

Cindy,

Real candlesticks can be found all the time on ebay and elsewhere.  The prices vary wildly depending on the model and condition and who notices it.  What kind do you want?  Do you want a complete set ready to plug in and use?  Are you willing to pay $300-$400?  Do you want something to display?  Do you need a dial?  A non-dial Kellogg or Stromberg Carlson candlestick without a subset in fair condition can often be had for $50-$70.

Larry

Sargeguy

Educate yourself before you buy!  Check the "how to spot a fake candlestick section of this board.  The model you are probably looking for is a Western Electric 151-AL.  The can be had for around $150 and feature the most up to date electronics.  These have either the older style solid back transmitter which looks better or the newer "bulldog" which is more reliable and transmits sound better.

Here is a nice example of an apparent 151-AL (newer dial but older receiver and transmitter).  It will should go for $175-225. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111003427105
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 20, 2013, 10:23:24 PM
Educate yourself before you buy!  Check the "how to spot a fake candlestick section of this board.

Sargeguy didn't post his recent and great thread on how to spot fakes so here it is.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7877.0

Cindy67

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 20, 2013, 09:49:41 PM
Cindy,

Real candlesticks can be found all the time on ebay and elsewhere.  The prices vary wildly depending on the model and condition and who notices it.  What kind do you want?  Do you want a complete set ready to plug in and use?  Are you willing to pay $300-$400?  Do you want something to display?  Do you need a dial?  A non-dial Kellogg or Stromberg Carlson candlestick without a subset in fair condition can often be had for $50-$70.

Larry

Ok I just won one, I HOPE its real.  I tried to check it out with the "How to spot fakes".   I( do hope I did ok.

VINTAGE BLACK CANDLESTICK PHONE ROTARY FOR FIXING OR PARTS
item# 271138966086

There were a lot of pics....I hope I did right....I am putting pics up in case no one can find it....i have more pics but cant add.  If it is fake I am sure I can cancel transaction or sell it!    ;)

Thank you.