"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Look at What I Found This Morning

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 09, 2014, 12:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: poplar1 on May 09, 2014, 05:39:57 PM
Is the handset handle solid or hollow? Is the handle dated at the top (something like 105 for 10/45).  I'm trying to update the date range chart.

The handset is solid.  There are three screw terminals in the transmitter cup.  I could not find any sort of date markings on the handset, but both elements are dated 10/45.

Larry

david@london

larry -

re the red 500-u for 15 bucks ..................you cannot be serious !

poplar1

Thanks for checking, Larry. There are some handsets without the embossed date code but since all the other dates match, it may be safe to say that 10/45 at least some handsets were still solid core...the reason for changing to hollow is that sometimes the solid ones didn't get "done" in the middle.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 09, 2014, 05:47:52 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on May 09, 2014, 05:39:57 PM
Is the handset handle solid or hollow? Is the handle dated at the top (something like 105 for 10/45).  I'm trying to update the date range chart.

The handset is solid.  There are three screw terminals in the transmitter cup.  I could not find any sort of date markings on the handset, but both elements are dated 10/45.

Larry
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Larry....great find!

David...great picture...Doug
Kidphone

RotarDad

That's great, Larry on the red "U" find!  I've not seen another red one beside Jorge' s beauty.  I think it was also Jorge who noted that the "good" phones are in Michigan - hard to dispute that one!!!
Paul

WesternElectricBen

Amazing find, Larry, I'm very envious!!

Ben

Dennis Markham

Wow!  Great discovery, Larry.  (The "mushroom phone").  Congratulations.  You did very well on that road trip.  As Jonathan said, the colors other than Black and Pink are hard to find.  They are still out there.......

~Dennis

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

LarryInMichigan

Note that this phone had been living less than two miles from my house.  One never knows what is lurking nearby.

Larry

BDM

Words of wisdom. I need to check out my local estate sales also
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: BDM on May 10, 2014, 10:16:04 PM
Words of wisdom. I need to check out my local estate sales also

I was told by a couple of people that they find alot of great stuff right in your neighborhood and the Grosse Pointes.  Remember that I get half of whatever your find ;).

Larry

BDM

LOL....Well one day when I can get a Saturday off, you can come up here and we'll make a list, check it twice and start hitting those old homes  8) 
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

BTW I would believe that. My best finds have been in older neighborhoods that would have sported this equipment back in the day. Naturally the Grosse Pointe's can be a hot spot!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

WesternElectricBen

BDM,

Alike your friends, I live in a neighborhood built in the 50's. Homes with 2 or 3 car garages and rumpus rooms fairly stranded, this would be a great place to find something special like Larry's Red mushroom. Sadly, in the last 10 years everybody has been tearing down there cream-puff homes and build new homes.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

I am so envious, Larry! I've always had a soft spot for mushrooms, and I have yet to get my hands on one!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford