News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My finger slipped! Ah, yes, what a nostalgic feeling!

Started by Greg G., September 09, 2009, 02:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

While dialing a friend my finger slipped about the 4th or 5th number and I had to hang up and re-dial.  I can't remember the last time that happened.  Had to have been in my teens (60s) or early twenties at the latest.  I used to cuss and get annoyed, now I smiled and enjoyed.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Tonyrotary

I remember on my uncle's phone that happened a few times. Like you I use to get mad....lol. Well the other day i was using the 554 and my finger slipped and the same thing happened, I just smiled and redialed.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

I "read somewhere" that after some studies that W.E. hesitated with going from rotary to TT for the very reason that there would be lot's of wrong numbers, even though the push buttons were faster and simpler to build than dials. And I'm glad that they did! ;D
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Brinybay;

It rhymes,
"I used to cuss and get annoyed, now I smiled and enjoyed."
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

I think it was just yesterday that I was dialing my 500 and slipped.  It was indeed a memory of annoying incidents from the past.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the level of resistance within the dial mechanism.  It seems to me that there's less of it with later dials, like the 9 series.

Ralph
Ralph

bingster

Maybe it's just the condition that my dials are in, but mine seem to get stiffer as they get newer (until the #9, which is pretty effortless).  But my #4 dials offer very little resistance, #5 a bit more, #6 a LOT more, and my 500 dials until the #9 are as stiff as a 6.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I thought maybe the dials with steel and brass gears offered more resistance than their plastic counterparts.  But it sounds like Bingster's are just the opposite.  The #8's on the Princess phones seem fairly easy to turn.

bingster

Yes, my Princess dials do turn with very little effort.  I forgot about those.

It makes sense that the dials should get easier to turn (and quieter) as dial development progressed, and my results are probably due to dials needing a good servicing.  I do have one 1957 500 dial that is incredibly smooth and easy to turn, though. ;)
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

I don't have much experience with all the ergonomics of various different makes and model numbers of dials and their finger slippage possibilities in history. I can only say that I personally like the feel and sound of good refurbished brass gears in dials more than plastic.

And with a touch tone phone, I never know if I pushed the wrong button and accidentally phoned the wrong neighbor to ask about my missing cat.

You do know how to dial a phone, right? You just put your finger in the hole and ... Ahem! Nevermind. Joke with Brinybay.

Bingster; I agree that 1957 was a very good year. ;D
-Matt

bwanna

hobie,

is your cat an orange tabby. ???  i think i found her :o
donna

McHeath

My 2003 Cortelco has the quietest dial of any rotary I have, even more so than a 9C.  I like the noisy ones, older #4s and 5s and early 7s, while my wife likes the quiet ones. 

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 09, 2009, 01:10:20 PM
Brinybay;

It rhymes,
"I used to cuss and get annoyed, now I smiled and enjoyed."
D/P

I noticed that, and I wasn't even trying.  Sounds like part of a limerick.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rp2813

I just had another slippage incident this morning on the same phone.  I think people are onto something with the dial series.  This one in particular is a 7A and seems to have more resistance than even a 7C, and there is no contest compared to the relative effortlessness of a 9C.  One of these days I may have to ship the dial to Dennis for some surgical action if it keeps on fighting me!

Ralph
Ralph

HobieSport

Those dial slippage incidents can really become pesky in the month of September. I'll never know why, but I might as well blame it all on Dan and his pet untamed pet Panther.

I thought that they were a normal year round occurrence. How little I know.
-Matt