News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Phone Table ? Can this be saved

Started by winkydink, February 08, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

Well with temps in the upper 40's and low 50's here in the Northeast, I was finally able to take a nice walk today.  On my journey, my wife and I came across what we think is a phone table that was being thrown away.

The table has damage on the top as seen in the photos.  It has a nice hinged door for storage (phone book ? subset ?).  I may be totally wrong and this is not a phone table but it does look like it.

The top seems to consist of 3 layers.  The bottom layer is wooden slats layed up against each other.  This layer is undamaged.  There are then 2 layers of wood veneer, which have water damage and rot.  It seems like these 2 layers could possibly be taken off and new wood veneer put on top.

This also has a manufactures name of Scholle's, Chicago.

My question to those who know anything about period furniture, are as follows.

• Is this a phone table ?
  • About what time period might this be from
  • Can the piece be salvaged
  • Is it worth being salvaged ?

This holds absolutly no sentimantal value and can just as easily be put out on my curb for salvage, however it looked interesting, and before I start trying to get estimates locally, I thought I would ask the forum.

Thanks

WD

Dan/Panther

WinkyDink;
I've found out over the years as a refinisher of about every kind of table or cabinet, that as long as you want to save an item, it can be refinished.
You can replace missing veneer, or pieces of wood, and with the proper toners and finish you will make an item, that the repairs can be almost undetectable.
Your  table is very salvagable, you can either replace the entire top layer of veneer or patch the bad spot, I would recommenbd removing the top layer down to even wood, then replacing the top veneer with some you can buy on line or at some lumber yards.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

I agree with Dan.  That's not nearly as bad as you're thinking it is.  When you strip off the top two layers down to the solid wood, you may even find that you can put a decent finish on what's left without putting new veneer on.  It's a beautiful find though, very well-proportioned, and the finish looks to be in good shape, too (except the top, of course). A thorough scrubbing with some Murphy's will do a world of good, you'll find.   I think you're right--it definitely looks like a telephone table to me, too.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

BTW, if you decide you don't want the table I'm sure someone here will gladly pay shipping. Myself included.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

By the way, that is called a smoking cabinet, but, I have found people using them for telephone stands, and, putting the phone books inside.
I'ts from the 40's. It's worth saving.....
The rest ot it appears to be in nice shape.....
Bill Cahill Heck.... I'd take that one myself.....
;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Steve

Nice find. looks like quarter sawn oak?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Ellen

I would not remove the top layer.  That is the original top, most likely.  I think you should patch the missing veneer and underlayment with new veneer and careful staining, to resemble it's original look.  Saving most of the old look with a bit of repair is an old and venerable way of restoring furniture.  The inside of the door looks like quarter-sawn oak from here, but I did not get a really good look at the wood on top.

Restore vs. preserve vs. renovate?

winkydink

OK it looks like the general consensus is that it is worth saving.  I am not sure that I am up to the task of trying to fix this myself so I may try and get an estimate.

2 questions that I have from the various replys

#1) what exactly would a smoking cabinet be used for (storing tobacco and pipes ?)

#2)  What is mean by quartersawn oak ?

Thanks

WD

Steve

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bingster

As a lazy person, I'll tell you what I'd do with the table:

Give it a good cleaning, leave the top as-is, lay a dresser scarf over the top so you can't see the bad spot.  Presto! Problem solved. 
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I'm probably in the Bingster arena of repairing this table.  But I'm agreeing that it could certainly be made to look good as new by someone with the wherewithal.  It's an interesting piece, we'd of picked it up off the trash pile as well.

Ellen

mienaichizu

I agree with the others, this table can still be salvage and that rot is only a minor damage, can be easily replaced with new veneer

Bill Cahill

Quartersawn is the type of grain pattern on the veneer, and, the way it is cut.
Yes, pipes, tobaco, etc.....
Funny. Insides ARE oak, but, outside doesn't look like oak.
Nice cabinet, though.
I certainly would have saved it, and, gotten it fixed. It's worth saving, in my book.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."