and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow is the New Blue

Started by Doug Rose, January 15, 2015, 04:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AE40FAN

I definitely got a great deal on mine with gray cords for only $45 and that included shipping!

LarryInMichigan

It must have been the dial center design which did it :D

Larry

Babybearjs

why do people go crazy over the colors.... on the 200 and 300 series phones I can understand- scarcity. but on the 500 and newer phones I see prices for colors that make no sense. whats up with that??
John

Kenton K

Its usually only the early soft colors which people go crazy over. Soft colors were only made from 1953-1959. It can be challenging finding an original set. And yellow is rather scarce color.

Ken

RotarDad

I agree with KK.  You see quite a few Med Blue 500s on Ebay, but not many soft plastic yellows, especially with gray cords.  If two people want something, the price can get lofty.....
Paul

JimHyak

In putting together my collection of the 500 softies, yellow was the last I found. I didn't have to go anywhere near this price, but I was still surprised at how hard it was to find an unmolested 500 soft yellow. I did luck into a mislabeled rose beige for $41, otherwise it might have been the last. Med blues and browns tend to sell for the most, and med blue is still my favorite, but it's tough to argue with Doug's original premise about the yellows. Of course, once one fetches this kind of money, look for some to magically appear on eBay. Look at the A1s which have appeared after one hit $1400.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

WEBellSystemChristian

The 300 series phones always have an obvious "rarity" tag slapped on them, where I see them all the time, but the prices are so hefty.

The 500 series rarities have a way of slipping through the cracks in ebay auctions, making them harder to find, and more valuable to the right buyer.

Fortunately, I have found most of the soft 500 colors, all except for Mahogany brown, Rose beige, and Transparent (probably will never get one in soft plastic).
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford