News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mushroom phone question

Started by Dan, June 25, 2009, 11:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I believe the Brady Bunch, which debuted in 1969, was the first instance of a "shared" bed on a TV show. Funny thing is, Mike Brady, the father, was gay.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

I once had a secret crush on Elizabeth Montgomery, who played "Bewitched" in 1964.  The actor Darrin Stevens who played her husband was gay and I don't care. In my humble experience it's not contagious. Kindly evil laugh. Hee.
-Matt

bingster

Twin beds were common in movies and tv for well-known reasons, but they were also much more common in real life that most people today would suspect.  I collect old magazines, and in architectural and home magazines in which photos of real-life rooms are shown, you see just as many bedrooms with twin beds as "regular" beds.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I remember Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore each having their own beds on the Dick Van Dyke Show back in the 60's.

Hobie, the actor you are referring to was the second Darrin.  The stage name was Darrin Stevens.  The actor was Dick Sergeant.  The original Darrin was Dick York.  I watched way too much TV as a kid and as an old man too!

Dan

Quote from: HobieSport on July 08, 2009, 07:28:49 PM
I once had a secret crush on Elizabeth Montgomery, who played "Bewitched" in 1964.  The actor Darrin Stevens who played her husband was gay and I don't care. In my humble experience it's not contagious. Kindly evil laugh. Hee.

If you have ever seen season three of the twilight zone, here's a beautiful 'Liz Montgomery with natural hair color circa 1961

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgaRKF6_Kiw

I have always had a crush on her myself....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Me too (crush) as has just about every red blooded American male.  She was a very beautiful woman.  There are often some good shots of 1960's style phones in that show too.  I see the show on my cable system on WGN out of Chicago.  But it's often late at night.

She and Charles Bronson look like kids in that video. 

Dan

I taped many an episode of the twilight zone of WGN back in the day. I actually edited all 156 episodes on 10 VHS tapes. This was before DVD's. A lot od work went into that. Now you can get whole seasons @ the library remastered and beautiful.

McHeath

I can beat twin beds for a married couple with my house, it was custom built for the owners in 1966 to their personal needs.  It has 2 separate master suites, they did not even share bedrooms. 

Dan

Probably a very happily married couple lived there....

bingster

Speaking of lighted phones, has anybody ever seen a P/U type phone in a TT version?  Were they so unpopular that they didn't offer that feature beyond the dial versions?
= DARRIN =

Dan

I have never seen a P/U touchtone, but I have a TT with a little red light that comes on to verify it is ringing (I believe it was made for hearing impaired individuals)

Phonesrfun

Dan:

I believe they were also used in motels/hotels to signify ringing when the volume was turned off and to indicate a message watiting.

-Bill
-Bill G