News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

10 Button TRIMLINE won't dial out

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 13, 2013, 10:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

The recall button is also useful for call waiting. I always wanted to wire up a G-handset with a 6-conductor cord and a recall button.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on June 14, 2013, 04:30:55 PM
The recall button is also useful for call waiting. I always wanted to wire up a G-handset with a 6-conductor cord and a recall button.

Thats a good idea, but that seems like another phone terriost idea. Know what I'm saying, "converted with a call waiting button," and then 30 yrs later we are thinking, well that was a dumb idea... hahha

poplar1

If you say it comes and goes when you jiggle the wire near the jack in the AD1 base, then you may want to temporarily install a line cord to the L1 and L2 terminals just to see what happens.

Also, there may be some bad connections or traces on the membrane inside the back of the handset.

To be honest, I still don't know why some Trimlines have low volume. Hopefully, some others will join this discussion.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on June 14, 2013, 04:36:43 PM
If you say it comes and goes when you jiggle the wire near the jack in the AD1 base, then you may want to temporarily install a line cord to the L1 and L2 terminals just to see what happens.

Also, there may be some bad connections or traces on the membrane inside the back of the handset.

To be honest, I still don't know why some Trimlines have low volume. Hopefully, some others will join this discussion.

I hope somebody elect will too, I don't want to exaughst you! How exactly am I suppose to remove the cover with out cracking it?

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 14, 2013, 04:33:22 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on June 14, 2013, 04:30:55 PM

Thats a good idea, but that seems like another phone terriost idea. Know what I'm saying, "converted with a call waiting button," and then 30 yrs later we are thinking, well that was a dumb idea... hahha

Well, if you have a wall phone with a 25 foot handset cord, it's a long way back to the phone to answer call waiting. (Not that I would ever want Call Waiting.)

By the way, since the news about all the phone call records, Verizon has changed its commercials from "Do you hear me now?" to "We hear you now,"  per Jimmy Fallon.

poplar1

There is a clear rectangular plastic piece (with the phone number) between the dial and the receiver. Insert a paper clip into the little hole and carefully pry it out. Don't use a screwdriver for this. Behind the plastic piece, you will see the lamp and two screws. Remove the screws. Then the bottom of the back is held on by a tab in the plastic, so start separating the back from the rest at the top, but be careful so you don't crack the shell at the bottom.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on June 14, 2013, 04:48:15 PM
There is a clear rectangular plastic piece (with the phone number) between the dial and the receiver. Insert a paper clip into the little hole and carefully pry it out. Don't use a screwdriver for this. Behind the plastic piece, you will see the lamp and two screws. Remove the screws. Then the bottom of the back is held on by a tab in the plastic, so start separating the back from the rest at the top, but be careful so you don't crack the shell at the bottom.

Ok! Thanks! Traces look ok. No broken areas I see.. I guess I will just try to rig something up, though maybe if I tried contract cleaner that might help...

HarrySmith

From what I learned on my first Trimline exercises the plug contacts are prone to bad connections. These are the early "big" plugs, correct? If you look at the plug you will see some contacts that are black, you need to clean them up to make them silver again. I also used a dental pick to bend the contacts in the phone and make them tighter against the plug after cleaning.

I also learned I don't like working on Trimlines ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 14, 2013, 05:15:41 PM
From what I learned on my first Trimline exercises the plug contacts are prone to bad connections. These are the early "big" plugs, correct? If you look at the plug you will see some contacts that are black, you need to clean them up to make them silver again. I also used a dental pick to bend the contacts in the phone and make them tighter against the plug after cleaning.

I also learned I don't like working on Trimlines ;D

Ok, so use a dental pick on the contacts in the phone, should I try to buy some contact cleaner or just pick it off? Thank you!

jsowers

Silver polish will clean the contacts on the phone and the contacts on the cords, if they're silver. It's the same silver polish you get at the grocery store for cleaning silverware and silver plated trays. I use the liquid silver polish on a paper towel to get most of the tarnish off, and then wipe with a clean damp paper towel to get off the residue. Then buff dry with a dry paper towel. All the black will come off and they will shine.

If they're recessed, you can also use a Q-tip.
Jonathan

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: jsowers on June 15, 2013, 04:38:25 PM
Silver polish will clean the contacts on the phone and the contacts on the cords, if they're silver. It's the same silver polish you get at the grocery store for cleaning silverware and silver plated trays. I use the liquid silver polish on a paper towel to get most of the tarnish off, and then wipe with a clean damp paper towel to get off the residue. Then buff dry with a dry paper towel. All the black will come off and they will shine.

If they're recessed, you can also use a Q-tip.

Good Idea, I think we have some!

poplar1

I don't know about silver on the Trimline connectors, but there is a BSP saying not to clean the silver contacts in an F handset even if they are black.

4.03  The contacts on 625-A transmitters are silver plated
         and shall not be burnished. The tarnish that develops
on the contacts is not detrimental.

C35.101, Issue 1, 1-2-35
Transmitters, 625A, Description, Installation and Maintenance.