News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Confessions of a phone addict: Kenton k's collection gallery

Started by Kenton K, September 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

Yes! I do have a player piano. Its to the left of the shelf with the rolls. I'll get a photo in here of it. I think the player piano is one of the most ingenious engineered household devices. All powered by air. Marvelous.

Ken

Kenton K

New 10 button, a wall trimline! in moss green too. 3 of my 10 buttons phones are green; I feel like I must get them all in green now. Oh dear...

Ken

compubit

Did you get that one off of eBay? if so, I was bidding on it, but got sucked away at the end of the auction by work, and missed the end.  Glad it's going to one of us!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Kenton K

Hio!

I'm back after a little break from the forum. Life has been pretty busy lately. As some of you may know, I'm am a senior in high school and am preparing to go to college. So I've been taking care of that business. Because I'll be moving out, I'm going to start inventorying and selling extra phones. (But that apparently hasn't stopped me from buying new ones! Curses!).

So ill try to keep you guys updated with my phones.

Kk

Kenton K

Here is a phone that I'm on the edge about keeping it, and before I make a decision, I want to post it in my collection first.
It is a 1979/1980 clear 220 wall push button trimline I got on eBay a while ago. It's in nice shape, with only a small hairline crack. I think that is the original h/s cord. I love the way you can see the LEDs through the case at night!

Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome back, Ken! I was wondering what happened to you! I just realized I will probably have to do the same thing in a couple years... :o

I'll be watching for any new phones you have now!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Kenton K on May 23, 2015, 02:02:48 PM
Here is a phone that I'm on the edge about keeping it, and before I make a decision, I want to post it in my collection first.
It is a 1979/1980 clear 220 wall push button trimline I got on eBay a while ago. It's in nice shape, with only a small hairline crack. I think that is the original h/s cord. I love the way you can see the LEDs through the case at night!

Ken
In your situation, I would keep it.

It would be one thing if it were some bulky 500 or 1500, but this is just about as small as it gets for WE, so it would be much easier to pack with you.

It's also something you may have regrets about in the future if you get rid of it.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Russ Kirk

Nice phone. Please keep us posted if you decide to sell.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dave F

Ken,

Clear WE phones don't come along all that often, and they tend to become more valuable with the passage of time.  This is one I think you would ultimately regret selling.

DF

Kenton K

I recently got an absolutely stunning red 202. The paint is amazing on this thing. The only chip in the paint I can find is on the edge near the base and on the dial. The cradle area is like new. I don't think its ever been used!

At first I though this was just a really good home paint job because as I cleaned it, a little red came off and the cord is brown, not red. But I'm now pretty sure its original because the F4 handset has the 'F4' mark stamped over the paint; a home-brew wouldn't do that.

Its also got a 5J dial which was refurbished from a very early 5H dial with a 1937 phenol pulse pawl. Cool.

Lastly, a family photo of all my continentals!

poplar1

The "5J" stamp appears to be the only code, rather than a conversion from 5H. If so, it is odd that the original date is missing (not painted over).

Both 4J and pre-1941 5J dials had stainless steel unpainted finger wheels and white cases when new.  The W terminal was next to the governor on 1937 dials.

Perhaps the casing was painted black in 1950, and the new contact springs were added then.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

There is a paint run blob on the inside handset, which would make me very skeptical about originality.
Are there any dates that indicate 1955 ?  A transmitter at least that was refilled or tested in in 1955?

PS: I think most Continentals have a new 6D dial of 1955, but I  have and have seen colored 202s with earlier, refurbished dials too.  Even dials that were not stamped 5J, but still 5H.  It is possible that such sets were simply custom-ordered 202s, rather than formal Continentals.  The Continentals always had matching cord colors.
On the other hand, the F4 handset, especially marked ones, didn't exist much earlier than 1955. In 1954, the designated handset for those zones was still the BA type, with an HC5 receiver.

poplar1

Some green Continentals have brushed aluminum finger wheels and black neoprene H3AG and D4AN cords.
Continentals have been found with 6D, 5J, 5H, 4J and maybe 4H dials. I don't think the majority have 6Ds.

The requirement for having 6-type dials whenever T1 and U1 units are used -- because of more accurate signaling (dial pulses) -- does not seem to be followed for Continentals or Imperials.

Addendum C32.111, Issue B., Nov., 1955, SBT&TCo Standard, lists 202s in Black, Ivory, Green and Red, with D4U and H3C cords. "Sets in the above colors can be ordered with F1 or F4 handsets as required."

Kenton K

Quote from: poplar1 on August 14, 2016, 07:46:00 AM
The "5J" stamp appears to be the only code, rather than a conversion from 5H. If so, it is odd that the original date is missing (not painted over).

Perhaps the casing was painted black in 1950, and the new contact springs were added then.

Poplar, it's hard to see, especially in the photo, but there is a red 5H marking between the governor and pulse pawl. The 1937 date stamp was also painted over and is near the 5J stamp.

On the phone, the transmitter, receiver, cord, and number plate are 1955. About the paint blob, I have a green continental that has a similar paint blob on the handset. I'll post photos.

kk

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on August 14, 2016, 09:18:43 AM
On the other hand, the F4 handset, especially marked ones, didn't exist much earlier than 1955. In 1954, the designated handset for those zones was still the BA type, with an HC5 receiver.

F4A handsets are listed in "Handsets, Description", Section C32.203, Issue 7, Oct., 1954.
At that time, they had an F4 handle, U1 receiver unit and F1 transmitter unit.
It was used "In place of the F1G handset where the transmission characteristics of a U1 receiver unit are required."
[At that time, the F4 handsets did not yet have T1 transmitter units and adaptor rings.]

The same table lists the BA-760726 handset with F1 handle, T1 transmitter unit, and HC5 receiver unit for use
"In place of the F1G where the transmission characteristics of a T1 transmitter and HC5 receiver unit are required."

I believe that Paul F. has mentioned the transition from F1 units to T1 units in F4A handsets.
Edit: BSP Section C32.275, Issue 6, Jan., 1956, "Handsets, Maintenance" states that the "new" F4 and F5 handsets have  T1 transmitter units and U1 receiver units and that the "old" F4s and F5s have F1 and U1 units.