News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 34 No Transmission

Started by Doug Rose, September 18, 2018, 01:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked a a real nice AE 34 on the cheap side. Beautiful condition....nice Bakelite. It tested fine with the old cords except there was no transmission. The cords were breaking apart so I replaced them. Same thing fully functional....no transmission. I swapped out the handset and there is still no transmission. I have not touched the wiring. Any ideas? I am not really an AE guy....Is the dial wired correctly? Any ideas?...thanks....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Ktownphoneco

Doug  ....    Check the handset cord at the set.      I'm assuming the plastic covered wire with "white / white / red / black" is the handset cord.     That should be a Western cord, and if so, "white / white" is the receiver.     Notice "2 white wires" connected to the same terminal inside the set.     Can't have both receiver wires on the same terminal.   Pull up the set schematic from the TCI Library and check the handset cord connections.

Jeff

HarrySmith

Try moving one white wire to the terminal with the red wire.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

It's a 500 set cord. Using both whites and red and black.  I have done this set up for years. It does not work with the original cord as well.  I will take it out tomorrow and test it without the phone.  Seams odd there would be two bad transmitters...but not unheard of....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
         Here's how mine is wired -                    " left click on pic to enlarge"

stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Stub....Agreed mine is the same...the other handset was the later with the transmitter was not hard wired. Neither transmit so I do not think it is the handsets. Also two different cords. I will check deeper tomorrow....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Stub....this is the same as the other handset I have, I will compare the wiring....thanks for all your help....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Both handsets are operational when not connected to the AE 34. Loud transmission.

I felt it must be the dial.....swapped it out ....no go.

I am stumped....any suggestions?....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  ....    I'm assuming from your description that the set is receiving OK.    Since you've eliminated the handsets, then I would suspect there's a problem on one side of the transmit circuit, since the transmitter and receiver share a common wire, and if it's receiving OK, then that rules out the common conductor.      The remaining transmitter wire travels from the transmit terminal in the handset, through the handset cord to the "T" terminal inside the set's housing.      From there, it is connected by wire to passive pulse spring.     With the set off hook, and the two pulse springs closed, that single conductor from the transmitter is connected directly to "L1" of the line cord.
Take a jumper wire and place it on terminal "T" and connect the other end on terminal "L1" .     That should activate the transmitter.    By doing that, your eliminating the connection between terminal "T" and the passive pulse spring, and the connection between the active pulse spring and the "L1" terminal.
As I mentioned above, if the receiver is functioning correctly, then the common side of the transmit & receive circuit is functioning correctly, which narrows the problem down to a conductor issue.   If the installation of the jumper as described, produces transmitter activity, then check the wiring between "T" and the dial, and between the dial and "L1".

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff ....T to L1...no transmission. I wired a working F1 with a different handset cord to the AE34 and that had no transmission either. Yes....I can hear with all three handsets. I cannot transmit with them connected to the AE34....but they work fine to straight DT. Everything else works fine, dials out... rings on incoming.....thanks for your help...Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Ok.   Disconnect the handset transmitter wire from terminal "T" inside the set's case.     Take 2 jumper wires and connect one to the common "C" terminal, and the other jumper to "L1"    You can do this with a spare "F-1" handset with a handset cord installed..     Just remove the receiver cartridge for this test, and leave the "F-1" transmitter cartridge installed in the handset.    Place the red wire from the "F-1" on terminal "C" on the set's common terminal and connect the black wire from the "F-1" handset to "L1".      The receiver on the A.E. 34 handset should be working OK, but the transmitter function should now occur on the temporary "F-1" handset's transmitter.    See if that works.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff....I will try this tomorrow. This looks like the phone is fried.  It is what happens with old telephones...they do not always work. I apprecrate all you help with this.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Does this type 34 have a capacator in the talk circuit like a 302 set?. Disconnect one side to see if it might have shorted.

Ktownphoneco

According to the schematic, it appears the talk circuit shares a 1 mfd condenser with the ringer.     Schematic attached here.   Click to enlarge.

Jeff