and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another European Phone

Started by mienaichizu, March 11, 2009, 10:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on February 13, 2011, 04:51:47 AM
Is that GG as in Gary Goff?

He's "playing with us" if it is! He said in another thread that he can't remember where to get new rubber base rings for AE sets. (Gary Goff).

GG also mentions working on PABX's and the phones connected to them so it isn't Gary Goff.

Terry

Phonesrfun

I can tell you it is not Gary, but GG seems to be very knowlegeable.  I think he is going to be a great addition to the forum.
-Bill G

dsk

Quote from: d_s_k on February 13, 2011, 09:15:56 AM
Don't worry for the KGB :)

dsk

As more I learn about US telephones the more I actually may say about this design.

The dialog is obviously inspired by the 5300 and 500 designs. The traditional Norwegian lines at the countryside was long, and still often blank wires on insulators. Even some forest lines run on blank wires hung on insulators hung in trees by other wires. A system with great flexibility in wind, but not suitable for central battery systems. This existence of a few expensive and demanding lines were still a priority when the Norwegian version was designed in 1967. These telephones was working on short lines mainly, and you got high gain sidetone, about like using a 5300 on a short high current line. It was by political reasons important to make telephones inside the country, and it was economical to have only one model. (If you want it an the wall, you had to put a rack on the wall to place your telphone)

Sitting here 44 years later, it is easy to say: importing e.g. Western Electric 500 sets for 80% of the use, and use those Norwegian sets for the 20% most difficult lines would have saved money, and made it possible to increase the service level.

When you are used to use the Norwegian telephone on a short line, you are starting to shout into a 500 (2500) set, because cant believe the other end can hear you.

Will you have the same feeling after using a 300 series telephone on a short line, and then switch to a 500/2500??

dsk

GG

Nope, not Gary Goff, and please don't speculate in the public forums, that's a security issue (along with posting your birth dates! holy cow, doing that is asking for identity theft!).  Anyone who wants to get in touch with me is welcome to email me.  I'm in California now, SF Bay Area. 

Terry, is there any chance that Ericsson 636 could be for sale or trade?  Or any other small Ericsson XB PAXs?  I have no examples of XB material here despite working with it for a while back East.   I do however have three Ericsson ASB-100 electronic PABXs with operator consoles. 

Ericsson made another Dialog variant that omitted the extended dial ring and had a newer type dial with a mechanism similar to the Italian FACE Standard dial of its era (early to mid 80s?).  This Ericsson with the different dial looked vaguely similar to a German Post 611 set. 

DSK, very interesting bits of history there about Norway.  I never saw that particular version of the Ericsson Dialog before (the one that rings via the handset mic).  Yes that would be a surveillance risk, unlawful room bugging.  On the other hand, so are cellphones (I do not have one: if I want 1920-ish audio, I have a real AE candlestick for that:-)   If they went to an electronic transmission network it's surprising they didn't also go to an MF or LD keypad at the same time.  Interesting combination.

I have a set of all three colors of the Elektrisk Bureau combination desk/wall set (black, ivory, gray), and the 1931 Ericsson 332 type set but with normally-numbered dial, and the preceding unit that looks like a ringer box sitting on the desk with a dial and handset cradle above it.  Question is, what type of central office switches were in use in Norway?  I would guess XB due to Ericsson influence. 

Re. making phones in-country for political reasons:  If you stop making things in your own country, you end up with the economy getting stripped out as happened to the UK and US.  And look where that got us.  China became the manufacturing capital of the world while Americans were selling each other fraudulent mortgages.  So yeah I'd say those political reasons are pretty important, in addition to the fact that self-sufficiency in necessities is an important intrinsic value.  (And don't even get me started about the need for nuclear & renewables to replace fossil fuels!)

dsk

It looks like the Swedish dialog schematics are here, 2 versions.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41337

Regarding the Norwegian ringer issue, I am sure it is easier to use a mechanical ringer as a dynamic microphone than the circuit in the Norwegian one.

The first exchanges in Norway was a W.E. 7A.   Later about 50% was delivered from Standard Telefon og Kabelfabrikk (later ITT) and the rest from Ericsson. (again politics)

A few Siemens exchanges was used before the nationalization of the telephone companies.

It has been a lot of roomers about why Oslo has the reverse dial, and that is your politics.  Some export regulations around 1918 forced W.E. to export a reverse dial system.

Actually the very first had the last pulse slightly longer than the others. Correction 24/04-2012: The first pulse of a 0 was 2.5 times longer. This was in use for many years, and I have a telephone from the 30ies with that dial, always breaking the connection when you dial ;D  (I have modified it (fully restorable) and uses the telephone in my garage. (It is splash proof at a 193x standard :D )

Regards
dsk

GG

DSK, thanks for the info.  I didn't know about the early WE switches there, much less the odd export regulation (I wonder if that's how New Zealand ended up reverse-numbered?).  Yes, the longer dial pulse issue: I have an ancient phone with a dial that has a longer break as the last pulse; would be nice to replace the pulse cam or something to make it usable here.  (That plus the reverse numbering.)   

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on February 18, 2011, 01:44:36 PMTerry, is there any chance that Ericsson 636 could be for sale or trade?  Or any other small Ericsson XB PAXs?  I have no examples of XB material here despite working with it for a while back East.   I do however have three Ericsson ASB-100 electronic PABXs with operator consoles.

Well one never knows but I too was quite excited to get this as it must be one of the smallest available examples of a working Xbar system. I had been looking for one of these for some time now as I had installed a couple of them back in the late 70's. Didn't think that I was going to find one and then a guy I work with started asking me questions about this gray box he found attached to the wall in a phone room. I thought I'd better check it out and he needed help getting it out of his way. A win - win situation!

I haven't stopped looking for stuff though. I had a Northern Telecom SG1 with my name on it a couple of years back and for all I know my name may still be on it. Only problem is it disappeared from where it was "in storage" so it was likely scrapped. Meanwhile I've found another one so once again, it has my name on it.

I also have my three cabinet Hitachi GTX400 crossbar PABX (mentioned in some other thread) hiding in a phone room but I can't really imagine ever bringing it home. I'd sure love to power it up and make some calls through it though.

Terry