"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hang up question

Started by ntophones, October 14, 2009, 04:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Hello--
I installed a straight line ringer and new condenser in an ae40.
The phone will dial, ring, answer. But, it will only disconnect a call that it has dialed out. It will not disconnect a call that it has received. Has anyone heard of this type of thing before?
Thanks,
ntophones
--nto

JorgeAmely

When you say disconnect, do you mean placing the handset on a cradle for a few seconds and then picking up the handset again and then noticed that you don't get a dial tone?

Jorge

ntophones

yes--the line is still  open, until the other phone disconnects.
--nto

Phonesrfun

Old central offices may still be in place that have what is known as calling party supervision.  That means that the calling party controls the line.  The answering party can hang up all they want, but the switches will not "take down" or disconnect the call until they either time out or the originating party hangs up.  If you are the one making the call, your phone may be keeping the call active until you hang up. 

If this is the case, it has nothing to do with the phone you are using to make the call, but rather the central office you are on.  So, try using another telephone to place the call, and see if the same thing happens.

I used to notice this years ago.

I actually thought with electronic offices, this was no longer in existence, but perhaps???

-Bill
-Bill G

ntophones

Thanks, Bill--
Great idea, but, my old WE500 will disconnect nicely.
The thing I don't get is if the AE40 receives a call, it can disconnect the line on hanging up...it is only if it has dialed the call that it cannot disconnect the line....
How weird is that?
--nto

bwanna

Quote from: ntophones on October 14, 2009, 04:45:56 PM
Hello--
I installed a straight line ringer and new condenser in an ae40.
The phone will dial, ring, answer. But, it will only disconnect a call that it has dialed out. It will not disconnect a call that it has received. Has anyone heard of this type of thing before?
Thanks,
ntophones

uummm  isn't that backwards of what you said? ???
donna

Dan/Panther

Years ago in my youth. We would call a number then not hang up our end and wait for them to pick up. they would have dead air, and quite often would start pounding the phone and cussing, which was exactly what we wanted, IF WE ACTUALLY EVER DID SOMETHING LIKE THAT... ::) ::) ::) 8)
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Quote from: bwanna on October 14, 2009, 08:41:57 PM
uummm  isn't that backwards of what you said? ???
Or perhaps the other side is on the older central office....

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

I just checked with someone I know who is knowledgeable (a regular guru, if you will) in this, and he says calling party supervision still exists in regular (non Voip) central offices.  How 'bout them apples.
-Bill G

bwanna

shoot, bill. you trumped me. i was going to ask a switchman at work tomorrow. ;) :o

VoIP doesn't come out of a central office. 8)
donna

Phonesrfun

Donna:

I would be interested in what your source says too.  Keep me posted.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill, as long as we have you on the line (pun intended), I've always wondered about the "beep-beep" line, or the "Jam-Line" as apparently they called it in Minnesota.  I'm going to start another thread about this subject and see if you can enlighten us about why that phenomenon occurred.

Here is the link to the new posting:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1605.0

ntophones

Well, I can't figure it out. I just know that when I answer a phone call with that phone, I cannot hang up and disconnect the phone. It only disconnects when the caller disconnects, which is not the way the other phones in my house works.
Bummer. Guess I won't be using my phone unless I can figure it out.
Thanks for your help, though.
ntophones.
--nto

jsowers

This may not apply to your actual phone, but since you had to replace the ringer, it may have what I call a "party line" switchhook. Our first AE40 when I was a kid had one and I have one in my collection somewhere. It had a small chrome spring-loaded lever at the cradle that you squeezed to get full dial tone. If you didn't squeeze it, you could hear a conversation on the party line, or a different (lower) tone, but the transmitter was silent. Great for listening in!

The right-hand button on the switchhook was tapered in from top to bottom and the buttons didn't come all the way up until the lever was actuated. Many times the lever spring is broken and it then operates like a normal phone. So maybe you just have a dirty or unlubricated switchhook that's not always making contact? I do remember the switchhook buttons could get dirt in them and be sort of slow to rise. It may also be the relay that silences the receiver when you dial. Give it a good cleaning and lightly lubricate the switchhook buttons and see if it recurs.

I'm no expert on AEs. I just grew up with them, and as a kid I never was too impressed with them.
Jonathan

ntophones

THanks for the info!
I'll try that. This phone did have a frequency ringer. It worked fine until I installed the SL ringer, but, I also installed a new butler bar. I wonder if it drags a little. I will do what you suggest, and see.
Thanks!
--nto