"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AT&T Payphone Plus

Started by Sigmaz, January 07, 2018, 08:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

Hey gang.

I have a friend of a friend that would like to have me open it for him.
I'm just sharing because I've never seen one like this with a card reader in the lower information area.
Nifty.

Fleetcmat

I have not seen a phone with a card reader installed in this manner. Are those functional buttons above the reader? Pretty neat phone! Please post photos of the interior once you have it opened please.

Payphone installer

AT&T 1F2B required a transformer. Buttons were speed dial to equal access carriers.

Payphone installer

I never saw this phone in service.

Payphone installer

more pictures

Payphone installer

I think this was the last phone they built that was all made by them. It required a transformer just like the Eagle.

Payphone installer

Here is a chrome version.

Payphone installer

This one does not have the equal access buttons for the carriers.

Payphone installer

There was at least one more AT&T phone I have it I will dig it out and post pictures. It was line powered.

Sigmaz

Somehow I knew you had at least one.. lol

I remember you mentioning them during our conversation.

Thanks for the photos!

Payphone installer

I will be available for express net tomorrow.

Sigmaz

Quote from: Payphone installer on January 09, 2018, 08:36:57 PM
I will be available for express net tomorrow.
Good deal, I'll bring my stuff to the office as well.

Sigmaz

Ok so after a bit of a wait the AT&T payphone plus unit was delivered to my basement lab for a once over..

It came complete with dead bugs in the ASD and a nice thick coat of nasty.

The owner has a pretty nice mancave and he wanted to have me crack this one open and see if I could get it to run for him.

First order of business was to remove the upper housing lock. Instead of brute force I plopped it up onto the Bridgeport and milled the core of the lock out.

Once I got inside the upper housing I was pleasantly surprised to find the vault keys!
I popped out the vault lock and replaced the upper housing lock with it. no need for  a vault lock in a mancave.

Anyway this is the intersting part.. I need Payphone Installer's expert mind  to chime in on this one.

Stamped on the chassis is the designation 37A. and looks like the one you posted above.
Interestingly enough it has a dual 9v battery pigtale??.

There are no terminals for L1 L3 CT .. The terminals on the chassis are R T G L.

The EEPROM chip has a sticker on it that says: " NGC Version 3.23  4F4159 Copyright AT&T 1992 "

I guess I need to find out the usual.. what is it, where to find the software, manual...

I'll get more photos up once I get it back together. Right now I have it all over the bench.
I'm scrubbing the unit before I handle it any more.

Sigmaz

...cont

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Sigmaz on January 26, 2018, 11:45:27 PM

I popped out the vault lock and replaced the upper housing lock with it. no need for  a vault lock in a mancave.

I like to have a locking vault on a firmly mounted payphone. It is a good place to keep a cash stash. A payphone vault can hold $1,000's in folding money.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.