News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for info to get payphone to work on my landline

Started by Jf510, December 28, 2017, 07:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

Hi..I hope I am in the right forum. I got this payphone recently and would like to get it to work to my landline if possible. I have no clue on anything about this phone or how to wire it. Any info would be appreciated even if it can't be done. Thanks

Payphone411

If you want it to work like a regular phone and not take money then you need a Western Electric 32C Board.
All you to do it hook up ring and tip and off you go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-Western-Electric-Payphone-32C-Chassis-Board/202153636232

?hash=item2f114bb188:g:O6AAAOSwmudaMFKq

Jf510

Hi. I do not care if the coin stuff works. I just want it to work like a regular phone. So it's really that east to hook up? Does it have a tip & ring or L1 & L2 to hook up to? Thanks for that info. I will have to get one.

trainman

What is in it now is a Protel COCOT board. This is a programable payphone. Meaning it will need to be programmed to rate table and needs coins to work. It might work as is. Just hook up TIP and Ring. These can be fun to play with, but get annoying after awhile.

Itherwise, get the board that was linked to in the thread. That will work without coins by connecting tip and ring also.

Jf510

So if I am just interested in it working as a phone and don't care about the coins working is it easy to hook up? I've never messed with this newer type of payphone before. Thanks.

Payphone411

Quote from: Jf510 on December 29, 2017, 02:32:58 PM
Hi. I do not care if the coin stuff works. I just want it to work like a regular phone. So it's really that east to hook up? Does it have a tip & ring or L1 & L2 to hook up to? Thanks for that info. I will have to get one.

Yep just ring and tip. Not sure why the photo on ebay has the other cables attached.
I had an SBC payphone just like yours and that's all I had to do.
It worked just fine but ended up selling it later on.

Jf510

Thanks for that info. I will keep this one unless I find a Western Electric or Pacific Bell which I worked for both..I don't mind having one of these one slot machines but I prefer the old 3 slots..again thanks to all for your help.

trainman

When you say other cables attached to the one in the ebay link, do you mean the yellow and black wire? Those go to the coin relay.

Payphone411

Quote from: trainman on December 29, 2017, 09:01:09 PM
When you say other cables attached to the one in the ebay link, do you mean the yellow and black wire? Those go to the coin relay.

Yes I was talking about the yellow and black wires. I don't get why they left them attached while the other wires have been removed.

Jf510

I just bought that 32C chassis board on ebay so hopefully it's easy to set up. One question though and does the dial, switch and handset all hook up once I plug that big plug from the front housing to the main phone when I am closing the phone up together? Of course I have to connect a line cord to it. I want to make sure there is no other connection to be made. Thanks.

Payphone installer

Phone should work when you plug in the upper housing. A Protel chassis used a dial wired for DTF (dial tone first)  so replacing the smart chassis with a D set chassis should work.

Jf510

I got the chassis board today and just hooked it up. It dials and rings fine. I do however hear some static that I know it's not my landline. I am not sure what to do now unless I have to get use to the static. Any suggestions?

Payphone411